Biographical Poetry posted April 8, 2016 Chapters:  ...132 133 -134- 135... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Ghazal

A chapter in the book Family

Daddy Said

by Treischel


Daddy said, "Only bad boys wet the bed,"
at least that's what my dreaded daddy said.

Daddy said, "Why aren't you like your brother?"
I felt the dread in the words my daddy said.

Daddy said, "I shall not spare the rod!"
He proved the dread of those words he said.

Daddy said, "Quit squirming while I beat you!"
With welts I dread, it's hard to do as said.

Daddy said, "Buckle down, you play too much."
So work, dread play, I heard just what he said.

Daddy said, "You're weak, and a big sissy."
Almost believed those dreaded words he said.

Daddy said that, "You'll amount to nothing."
Those words I dread cut deep when daddy said.

Daddy said, "You're too dumb to go to college."
What dread defied those mean words my daddy said?

Daddy said that, "I sure love my Savior Jesus."
With dread, I saw his actions missed the words he said.

Daddy said that, "I will always love your mother,"
but his affairs, I dread, belied those words he said.

On his death bed, my daddy said, "Shut up, you give me headaches!"
Such harsh words said, on his death bed, I dread that they're ever said.

Treischel hopes and prays that he's nothing like his daddy.
I don't believe, and now don't dread, a word my daddy said.






I was a bed wetter until about age 9.
My dad used a belt on us when he felt we needed it. Apparently I needed it quite a bit. More than my other brothers and sisters.

In a good Catholic family, the second son(me), should become a priest. My mom really tried hard to push me in that direction. I even went to the seminary and took the entrance exam. But that never happened. Instead, I disappointed her greatly.

This is a picture of my dad, my mom, my first wife Roberta, and me (the family black sheep), at our wedding reception. I was 19, she was 18, and 3 months pregnant. I guess I proved him right. That marriage lasted 6 years, but that's another story.

This poem is a Ghazal.
The Ghazal is composed of a minimum of five couplets, and typically no more than fifteen, that are structural, thematically, and emotionally autonomous. Each line of the poem must be of the same length though the meter is not imposed in English. The first couplet introduces a scheme, made up of a rhyme followed by a refrain. Subsequent couplets pick up the same scheme in the second line only, repeating the refrain and rhyming the second line with both lines of the first stanza. The Ghazal has a refrain of one to three words that repeat, and an inline rhyme that precedes the refrain. Lines 1 and 2, then every second line, has this refrain and inline rhyme. The rhyming scheme is:
aa bR cR dR eR etc...
The final couplet usually includes the poet's signature, referring to the author in the first or third person, and frequently including the poet's own name, pen name or a derivation of it.

I took a photograph of a family photograph from my personal collection.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.