Satire Poetry posted March 11, 2016 Chapters:  ...377 378 -379- 380... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Spenserian Sonnet

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Distracted by Beauty

by Treischel



The prettiest flowers I've ever seen
have caught my eyes, with multi-colored hue.
They laid upon a luscious bed of green,
with hearts of white, but crowned in royal blue.

To me, they seemed so gloriously new.
The blooms all teamed, to overflow the pot.
Such beauties! Likes of these are very few.
Their photograph was taken on the spot.

But, taken by their charms, almost forgot,
I had to carry on my purposed walk.
Although I want to stay transfixed, a lot,
my promise was to meet her at the dock.

So I must set this dalliance aside,
for I committed first to meet my bride.





Recognized


Sometimes I get so distracted, that I become an addlepated poet, but must not keep my wife waiting, when I promised to meet her at the boat landing after her trip out with friends. But the walk from parking lot to dock was so intriguing, I might tarry too long. Mostly fiction, for the story. You figure out which part is real.

The flowers are Cinerarias, a flower that is part of the Sunflower family, native to South Africa, although this variety is a hybrid - Pericallis. It is common in the Canary islands, the Azores, and Madeira. The like a cooler temperature range between 50 and 75 F, so they flourish best in early spring and late fall, but do not like hot, dry climates. These were potted, along a walking path in Minnesota.

This poem is a Spensarian Sonnet.
A variant on the English Sonnet form is the Spenserian Sonnet, named after Edmund Spenser (1552 -1599), in which he uses an interlocking rhyme scheme of:
abab, bcbc, cdcd, ee.
A Spenserian Sonnet does not appear to require that the initial octave set up a problem that the closing sestet answers, as with a Petrarchan sonnet. Instead, the form is treated as three quatrains connected by the interlocking rhyme scheme and closed by a couplet. The linked rhymes of his quatrains suggest the linked rhymes of such Italian forms as the Terza Rima that uses interlocking Tercets. It creates a lovely pattern that stretches out the b and c rhymes quite nicely.

This photograph was taken by the author himself, in May, 2012.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.