Spiritual Poetry posted March 9, 2016 Chapters:  ...375 376 -377- 378... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Queriet

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Jesus Has Risen

by Treischel


They posted guards, "Lets seal the stone."
As midnight dawned, the earth then shook.
Archangel came, away then with entrance seal he took.
The stone he rolled in blinding light,
While guards were frightened to the bone.
"What can this be, we overlook?"
They fainted fast away, within their camp's sentry nook.
          "Behold the Lord!" the angel said that night.

"Alleluia, He cometh forth!" the archangel sang.
All through the glen his clear voice rang, then from tomb, Jesus sprang.
There He stood, his fresh wounds showing, glowing in His glory.
As promised, life and death proclaimed, "Hear this finest story!"
          He told the angel, "Stay and wait, for those who are bereft."
He turned. When folded neatly clothes of His own death, He left
To lead the souls released from Hell to places to abide,
And greet His Father, "Mission complete," the moment He died.
Then even clouds and sky rejoice, as angels voice their joy
At final victory, that even Satan can't destroy.

Now, Sunday morning was dawning,
The Marys went out to the tomb.
When suddenly, an angel of the Lord filled the gloom.
             "Don't be frightened. He has risen!"
Saw stone rolled back, entrance yawning,
They looked inside -- an empty room.
"Where has He gone?"
                                       "To Galilee, where He'll meet you soon."
They ran to tell Good News given.

Apostles, hearing Mary say, "He's risen on this day!"
Did not believe her anyway. Two ran along the way.
So, John and Peter went to see what they thought couldn't be,
An empty tomb, with folded linen, placed so carefully.
Then, they remembered that He said, He'd come back from the dead.
Still, they had seen how He had bled. So in great fear they fled.
Against the Jewish retribution, in locked room they hid,
While hiding from the Romans too, concealing what they did.
For they believed the body stolen, hidden by the guards.
Ironically, their foes thought of them, in those same regards.

Our Lord appeared to people too.
To Magdalene, He first was seen.
          "Good morning, Mary. In Galilee we must convene."
Emmaus' road He met some more
Two true believers heart-broke, who
Recognized Him, when He broke bread,
He ate with them, and then taught them what the scriptures said.
"We saw Him too."
                                But are ignored.

          Appearing in their locked-up room, "My peace I give to you."
          "For now you see the prophecies have finally come true."
He showed His wounds, all five. He showed them to prove He's alive.
          "Now touch me, I'm not a ghost." They felt how the wounds survived.
           "I'm hungry. It's food I wish." So they fed the Lord some fish.
But Thomas who wasn't there, said, "You are all so foolish!"
"Until I touch and see with my own eyes, I won't believe."
But then the Lord appeared to all of them, one fateful eve,
When Thomas did those things, he said, "My Lord, My God, I say."
            "You see, then believe. Bless who don't, but believe anyway."

That's what the Bible says, so listen well.
Good News is, "He has risen!" Now go tell!




 




I couldn't get all the meter right, so I am open to any suggestions.

I tried here to blend all four versions of Christ's Resurrection into this one poem. There are interesting differences between Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.
Mathew has the guards posted on Saturday morning and they were temple guards. He also has Mary Magdalene and one "other Mary" come to the tomb, at dawn. The guards were there with them. and faint when the Angel comes to move the stone. He tells them Jesus has risen and will meet them in Galilee. They run and encounter Jesus on the road home. Jesus also asks to meet Him in Galilee.

Mark has the women listed as: Mary Magdalene, Salome, and Mary, mother of James. The stone was already removed with the angel inside. The Galilee statement is made here too. He also describes Jesus meeting with Magdalene as the first to see him alive, but not the other women. Mark in the first one to mention the two on the road to Emmaus.

Now Luke has two angels greet the women at the tomb. He identifies them as: Mary Magdalene, Joanna, and Mary mother of James. No mention of the Jesus meeting on the road. He has Peter alone running to the tomb. He goes into more detail on the Emmaus encounter, and how they report back to the Apostles.

John only cites Mary Magdalene as going to the tomb, while it was still dark, before dawn. No mention of any angels or guards. John races Peter to the tomb, beats him, but won't go in. Peter comes up and goes right in. John also writes a detailed account of Jesus' meeting with Mary Magdalene, after Peter and John left for home, and she had returned to the tomb and was crying there. That's when she saw the two Angels, who asked her why she was crying. Then Jesus appeared behind her, in the tomb. A very interesting thing happened. She went to hug Him, and He yelled "Don't touch Me, for I haven't ascended to my Father. But go find my brothers and tell them that I ascend to my Father and your Father, my God and your God." John 20: 17.
So he hadn't ascended yet, even though He had risen. That is why I added that in my poem.
A final interesting point is that, even though the angels said to go to Galilee, and Jesus Himself asked them to go there, the Apostles never went, but stayed hidden in Jerusalem. No wonder Mark commented on their admonishment. Even though he didn't write specifically about Thomas' doubting the resurrection until he could examine and touch the wounds. Mark 16:14 states that: "Still later He appeared to the eleven as they were eating together. He rebuked them for their unbelief - their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him alive."

This poem is a Queriet.
The Queriet is a newly created format by our very own Pantytgynt. It is a very complex form, that is useful with question/answer dialogue, which I learned from his poem, Beltane Sacrifice.
"Feeling the need for another poem in which the Q & A form would be appropriate, I thought I would try to write to a similar form which I now christen the "Queriet" from the queries or questions that are an essential feature of what has here become the first eight line stanza. You can have as many questions and answers as you wish but this first stanza of each cycle must contain at least one. This stanza is syllabic to the syllable count of 8,8,13,8,8,8,13,8 and the rhyme scheme for this stanza is abbcabbc.
If appropriate both question and response may come from one and the same person, as in a soliloquy. I have not found this necessary here.

The second part of the cycle contributes more detail and covers 10 lines of metered rhyming couplets. Any meter consistent over the 10 lines can be used. Here I have gone for Heptameter (14 syllables).

The whole poem concludes in the manner of a Sonnet with a rhyming couplet of iambic pentameter."

This picture is from Yahoo images.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.