Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted March 3, 2016 Chapters:  ...381 382 -383- 384... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Dorsimbra Poem

A chapter in the book Little Poems

City Dwelling

by Treischel



When city-dwelling architecture reigns,
It stacks the masses high in cozy crates
That simulate the Aztec's vast domains,
Or towers reaching up to Heaven's gates.

Come see apartments in the sky
Where Falcons home
As birds of feather flock
From bottom to the top

The architects create fine living space,
As density creates a jumbled stew,
Where even birds succumb to urban life
When city-dwelling architecture reigns.






Recognized


This is an Ekphrastic poem in that, it is created based upon the inspiration of this photograph. I loved the juxtaposition of the bird apartment with the modern apartments in Minneapolis. The one reminded me of an Aztec pyramid temple. The other a stylish tower. My reference to crates is to reflect that, no matter how stylish the exterior, an apartment is still a box. I hope you caught the simile of the birds of a feather. I also hinted, with a metaphor, to the tower of Babel. Another aspect is that, as architects create, so does the very fact of density. These days too, Peregrine Falcons are nesting on skyscrapers and other towers.

This poem is a Dorsimbra. I was introduced to it today while reviewing Flylikeaneagle's poem, Shining Lights.
The Dorsimbra, a poetry form created by Eve Braden, Frieda Dorris and Robert Simonton. So, by combining their names you get Dorsimbra. It is a set form of three stanzas of four lines each. Since the Dorsimbra requires three different sorts of form writing, enjambment can help to achieve fluidity between stanzas, while internal rhymes and near-rhymes can help tie the stanzas together. (You can Google ENJAMBMENT, and IAMBIC PENTAMETER).

Stanza One: Four lines of iambic pentameter, rhymed abab.
Stanza Two: Four lines of short and snappy free verse.
Stanza Three: Four lines of iambic pentameter blank verse, where the last line repeats the first line of Stanza One.

This photograph was taken by the author himself on February 20, 2016.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.