Spiritual Poetry posted February 23, 2016 Chapters:  ...373 374 -375- 376... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Queriet (Please read notes)

A chapter in the book Little Poems

The Trial of Jesus (Part 3)

by Treischel



          The mob replied, "We want his death!"
 "He is your King!" in frustration.
          "We have no King but Caesar, pontiff of our nation!"
"I've found him innocent, again!"
          The crowd roared, "You must crucify!"
"I release one, this occasion."
"Barrabus or him?"
                               "Barrabus!" came loud oration.
"What of him?"
                         "Crucify him, then."

Then Pilot asked them, "Why? I find him innocent."
Incited crowd was loud, with angry argument.
The trouble-makers, in the yard, kept feelings raw,
          "His blasphemy requires death, in Jewish law!"
This Roman lord could see that he had lost control,
And riots could ensue, if he did not console.
Centurions were sent to fetch a water bin,
That Pontius Pilot took and placed his hands within.
"I wash my hands of this man's blood, as it's on you."
          "His blood shall be on us, and on our children too."

That curse accepted, God's plan put in play.
The Romans quickly led Our Lord away.


 




In American English vernacular, again rhymes with then.

Modification Note:
I have totally rewritten the second cycle of Part 2, because I felt it too condensed. I wanted to include more about the scourging, the Caesar comment, and include Pilot's famous statement "Truth? What is truth?" So, I totally rewrote the first eight lines of that part of the cycle, that previously read:

"Are you a King" he asked Our Lord.
"My kingdom is not of this world."
"We'll see, when whips have laid the skin of your back unfurled."
A crown of thorns placed on His head,
Before the crowd, "Behold the man!"
"On this feast, one man can be released."
"Barabus or him?"
"Barabus!"
Then they were appeased.
"?What of him?"
"Crucify him, dead!"

Then I moved the entire ending to this Part 3.

Author's notes:
I find the differences in the four versions of the bible interesting.
Matthew is the one who quotes the curse the Jews accept upon themselves. Only Luke mentions the Herod episode. Mathew, Mark and Luke, all have the soldiers scourging and abusing Jesus after Pilot washes his hands and condemns Jesus, but John has it in the sequence that I portray here. Since he is the only actual eye witness, I thought his the most accurate, although he didn't mention Herod. Only Luke mentions a letter about a dream by Pilot's wife, which I left out. I couldn't fit in an interchange between Pilot and Jesus where Pilot says, "Don't you know that I have the power to release you, or crucify you?" Jesus replies, "You would have no power but for that given you from above". Luke is the one who makes the point about Jesus and taxes and Caesar. John has the most intimate details. It occurs to me that John was out in the courtyard with all the Jews, as an eye witness. So he may not have been privy to the Herod episode. Luke was a scholar, and wrote much later. He had the benefit of reviewing the Roman accounts. He says Herod was in Jerusalem, but not where. Herod was likely a guest in Pilot's palace, due to his rank and stature. So that whole event might have occurred within the Palace where none of the Jews would have been even aware it took place.

This poem is a Queriet. I'll refer you back to part 1 or 2 for an explanation, rather than repeat it here.

The picture is from Yahoo images.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.