Spiritual Poetry posted February 20, 2016 Chapters:  ...371 372 -373- 374... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Queriet

A chapter in the book Little Poems

The Trial of Jesus (Part 1)

by Treischel



Before the council He was brought.
"What has he done against our ways?"
          "Said he'd destroy, and then rebuild, Temple in three days."
"Well, is that true?" asked Caiaphas.
But Jesus' silence answered him.
          "Are you Messiah, Son of God?"
The High Priest asked, leaning forward with a sneering nod.
"I AM," replied hand-bound Jesus.

The leader then beseeched the crowd, with garments torn,
"You heard it. Blasphemy!" he screamed in angry scorn.
          "We all have heard it, with his own besotted breath."
"What is your verdict?"
                       They responded, "Death -- Death -- Death!"
And then, they spat in it, and slapped His blinded face.
          All taunting, "Prophesy, who caused you each disgrace?"
If false Messiah, Jesus broke the Jewish law,
His miracles dismissed, as if they never saw.
While, as a threat, the leaders wanted Jesus gone.
That's why the accusations all continued on.

They brought Him to the Roman Governor.
Before him, wrapped in chains, as prisoner.


 




Jesus had two trials. I am presenting the first one here, which is the trial before the Jewish Sanhedrin, a counsel of the judicial leaders. Caiaphas, as the high priest, was the leader. This is the group that issued the death sentence, but they needed the Romans. So, He needed a second trial by the Romans to confirm and carry out His execution.

In the poem, I would forego the Christian convention of capitalizing pronoun references to Jesus, when spoken by a non-believer.

This poem is a Queriet.
The Queriet is a newly created format by our very own Pantytgynt. It is a very complex form, that is useful with question/answer dialogue, and is my first attempt at his instructions from his poem, Beltane Sacrifice.
"Feeling the need for another poem in which the Q & A form would be appropriate, I thought I would try to write to a similar form which I now christen the "Queriet" from the queries or questions that are an essential feature of what has here become the first eight line stanza. You can have as many questions and answers as you wish but this first stanza of each cycle must contain at least one. This stanza is syllabic to the syllable count of 8,8,13,8,8,8,13,8 and the rhyme scheme for this stanza is abbcdbbc.
If appropriate both question and response may come from one and the same person, as in a soliloquy. I have not found this necessary here.

The second part of the cycle contributes more detail and covers 10 lines of metered rhyming couplets. Any meter consistent over the 10 lines can be used. Here I have gone for iambic heptameter.

The whole poem concludes in the manner of a sonnet with a rhyming couplet of iambic pentameter."

However, for my poem in the second section, I chose the Alexandrine meter, or Hexameter (12 syllables). I will also note that I am not crazy with the rhyme scheme in the first section as it leaves the a and d rhymes hanging. But that is his required design.

The picture is from Yahoo images.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.