Romance Poetry posted February 18, 2016 Chapters:  ...370 371 -372- 373... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Petrarchan Sonnet.

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Outside Our Bedroom Window

by Treischel



We are so warm and cozy in our bed.
We love to snuggle 'neath the comforter,
where I can share my body warmth with her,
as sweet endearments wander through my head.
Outside I see the snowflakes swiftly spread.
The window shows a white and nasty blur.
Where only silent snowdrifts dare to stir,
I see a lovely languid day ahead.

Although the air outside contains a chill,
and our thermometers are far below
that zero mark, where winters often go.
It's warm beneath our cozy goose-down fill,
and temp'ratures are rising to a glow,
regardless what's beyond our window sill.







That is my house in a recent snow storm. That is my bedroom window.

This poem is a Petrarchan Sonnet
The most famous early Sonneteer was Petrarca (known in English as Petrarch). He popularized the Italian Sonnet, which now carries his name. The basic meter of all Sonnets in English is iambic pentameter, although there have been a few tetrameter and even hexameter Sonnets, as well.

The Italian sonnet is divided into two sections by two different groups of rhyming sounds. The first 8 lines is called the Octave and rhymes as follows:
a b b a a b b a
The remaining 6 lines is called the Sestet and can have either two or three rhyming sounds, arranged in a variety of ways:
c d c d c d
c d d c d c
c d e c d e
c d e c e d
c d c e d c
The exact pattern of Sestet rhymes (unlike the octave pattern) is flexible. In strict practice, the one thing that is to be avoided in the Sestet is ending with a couplet (dd or ee), as this was never permitted in Italy, and Petrarch himself (supposedly) never used a couplet ending; in actual practice, Sestets are sometimes ended with couplets.
The poem is thus divided into two sections by the two differing rhyme groups. In accordance with the principle, a change from one rhyme group to another signifies a change in subject matter. This change occurs at the beginning of line 9 (L9) in the Italian sonnet and is called the Volta,or "turn"; the turn is an essential element of the Sonnet form, perhaps the essential element.

This photograph was taken by the author himself on February 2, 2016.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.