Fantasy Fiction posted January 28, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
unexpected help

A Winter Story

by mermaids


The winter storm had deposited a foot of snow in my driveway. I set my alarm clock , so I could arise at 3am to shovel my driveway, as a nurse I had to be at work regardless of weather. The snow was heavy and I could feel the pain in my lower back. Light snow was still falling and I forced myself to shovel despite the feeling of cold on my face. The full moon shone her light, as if to guide my labor.

Turning around to shovel against my vehicle, I blinked and then almost fell backwards. The yeti stood about ten feet away from me. A stern look was across his face. He had a shovel in his hand. He then proceeded to join me, shoveling the snow around my car, he was much faster at the task, since he was at least seven feet tall and appeared to have three times my strength.

I stepped back and watched, still surprised and wondering if I was in bed, having a dream.
The large, white furry creature shoveled mounds of snow, thrown off to the side. My vehicle would be free in no time. My fear subsided a little and my curiosity took over. I could feel the light of the moon shining down on us.

I approached the mythical creature cautiously. His eyes met mine and he gave a low growl. After a deep breath, my words poured out. "I wasn't aware of any yeti....here on Cape Cod." The yeti
continued to shovel. "It is not difficult to remain unseen from you humans, here on this weird place." He shoveled a few more piles of snow and then stopped. He turned to face me.

I was baffled. Why would he help me? " I am grateful for your help, but curious. Why help me dig out from this storm." He leaned slightly on the shovel. An owl gave a hoot. I blinked my eyes again, it was all too unreal. "My tribe is punishing me for a wrongful deed. I am ordered to
help a human." The large white beast then resumes shoveling snow which he completed in a short period of time.

"I appreciate your help. I have to get to work and this day will be a struggle for me, it is too early for me to get up and I will be exhausted. Tell your tribe, that I am grateful for your help and you have made my day. I hope someday to repay the favor. But for now, please come inside and have some hot chocolate and blueberry muffins before I head off to work." He stood and faced me.
Another low growl and he nodded his head.

I motioned for him to follow me inside. He looked around my kitchen and then bent down and petted my fluffy cat. She purred as if thrilled to meet another fluffy being.

I poured him a mug of hot chocolate and gave him a plate with three blueberry muffins. He ate them in silence and drank the warm liquid fast.

"I must go. You are now ready to journey to your destiny." I found the statement interesting, my job as my destiny, not how I thought about work. I escorted him outside and thanked him again.
He nodded but said nothing.

As I drove off to work, I watched him in the rear view mirror. He stood in the road watching me drive away. I blinked my eyes and when I looked again in the rear view mirror, he had disappeared.

I gave a silent prayer for him and thanked God for his help. No one would believe that the yeti showed up in my driveway to shovel me out. I hoped to see him again someday.



Recognized


I was shoveling my driveway at four am the other day and imagined the yeti showing up to help me. My winter fantasy.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. mermaids All rights reserved.
mermaids has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.