Romance Poetry posted January 16, 2016 Chapters:  ...362 363 -364- 365... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
An Aubade

A chapter in the book Little Poems

A Last Goodbye

by Treischel



Was this love ever meant to be?
It sparked in instant chemistry.
Drawn forth through some magnetic charm,
We melted in each other's arms.

Then sunshine played upon our days,
While night was ruled by moonlight's rays.
We reveled in joined company.
Contented just to let it be.

But now the morning hours,
Once perfumed by flowers,
Reveal vast differences,
Several instances,
Our natures never meet,
And consciences compete.

And so, my love, I must conclude,
Our love was just an interlude.

I hear the songbird calling me
It sings of things not meant to be.

Now, as the sun's rays touch the morning sky,
With one last gentle kiss,
A final look recalling this,
With heavy heart, I leave a last goodbye.







Oh, the pain!

This poem is an Aubade.
An Aubade is a poem about parting in the morning. There is no specified format other than to convey the essence of the moment. The purpose of an Aubade is to convey the emotion of separation. It is a morning love song (as opposed to a serenade, which is in the evening), or a song or poem about lovers separating at dawn. It has also been defined as "a song or instrumental composition concerning, accompanying, or evoking daybreak".

In the strictest sense of the term, an aubade is a song from a door or window to a sleeping woman. Aubades are generally conflated with what are strictly called albas, which are exemplified by a dialogue between parting lovers, a refrain with the word alba, and a watchman warning the lovers of the approaching dawn.

Aubades were in the repertory of troubadours in Europe in the Middle Ages. The love poetry of the 16th century dealt mostly with unsatisfied love, so the aubade was not a major genre in Elizabethan lyric.

Aubades were written from time to time into the 18th and 19th century. In the 20th century, the focus of the aubade shifted from the genre's original specialized courtly love context into the more abstract theme of a human parting at daybreak. Source: Wikipedia.

This photograph was taken by the author himself on April 15, 2015.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.