General Poetry posted January 8, 2016 Chapters:  ...39 40 -41- 42... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Current Floods and Fires in Australia

A chapter in the book Christine's Poems

Flood and Fire

by Chrissy710

Once again I set my pen to write of flood and fire,
Events from different states I tell, with consequences dire.
A flood was first, some days ago, from torrential rain,
The Hunter Valley's river raised, its bank put under strain.

This fast and rushing water took all within its wake,
Left many people stranded too, when the banks did break.
The water rose and flowed along, overland would it surround,
With houses flooded, children cried, pets and live-stock drowned.

The wettest year, reporters told as we all watched the news,
With pictures shown of heartbreak hell, and flood affected roo's.
But people will rise up again and rebuild what is lost,
And we'll all help with what we can, no matter what the cost.

Today I heard about a town, that's just been razed by fire,
With nothing left of stores and homes, but like a scorching pyre.
Historic buildings all are lost, the school and hospital
Grape vine and Olive groves are ash, the church no obstacle.

No letter will go out this week, the post office it did scoop
Some people missing not yet found, are from this town Yarloop.
The fire balls came not one, but many soon thereafter
This lovely milling town all burnt by firery disaster.

And as I sit and type away, to tell you of these tales
My thoughts and prayers go to Yarloop and those in New South Wales.
But our Aussie spirit's so alive, will come now to the fore
And help soon give, best wishes send, for these we'll not ignore.

Christine 7/1/2016









Recognized


Today I have heard the news on the radio telling us about a fire that has swept through a little milling town called Yarloop in Western Australia ( not far from the capital city Perth WA)
It was reported that at least 95 houses are lost along with the towns school, hospital, Post Office and their church. No lives lost to date but several missing and quite a few injured.

Four days ago in the state of New South Wales there was a devestating flood, the worst in the Hunter Valley region for 150 years. Many homes, farms, shops etc have been ruined by this flood and so once again we watch as helpless victims can do nothing but stand by and watch the water go by.
One news picture had a mob of Kangaroo's jumping through a flooded plain hence the reference to the roo's

Australia is a vast and beautiful country and I have been lucky enough to have been all around. Each state is so different from the other and it's hard to believe when travelling around it is all one country .
From lush green rainforests, vast beaches in Queensland, to dry arid terrains and large Ant Hills in Western Australia and The Northern Territory. Lovely Australian bush land and farming area in Victoria, New South Wales and South Australia. Also Tasmania ( not on mainland and across the Tasman Sea but still Australia ( it is similar to Victoria)
Unfortunately fires and floods are all too often felt in many parts of Australia and it is ironic that in one week we have both in different states

The image is of a fire in Australia not long ago and I did write a poem for that called. The Day Christmas burned ( its in my portfolio) and now I find myself writing another one. Thank you for reading this one too

Cheers Christine
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Chrissy710 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Chrissy710 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.