General Non-Fiction posted January 4, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A snapshot of childhood

Mindful Memory

by Judith Ann


I remember years ago, during a cold and snowy winter day, our family spent an afternoon at a local ice rink. We were playing in the fluffy white snow piled high around the rink. The towering snow banks provided a buffer for our falls as we counted on them to halt our forward progression.

"Your fingers are frozen," Mom said. Peeling ice chunks from my mittens, she placed them on the rocks circling the fire. The day had been wonderful; laughter and warm smiles filled every moment.

Dad finished taking a quick lap around the rink on his new skates and shouted, "Come on, grab hold of my hand." He extended his arm and invited me to join him in a game of crack-the-whip.

I jumped to my feet and clutched hold of his hand. "Don't let go," I said. "I don't want to end up in the cold snow bank."

"Don't worry," he said, then winked. "You are in good hands."

Our conga-like line grew longer with every pass across the icy surface. Then it happened. Someone cracked the whip! Shouts and screams of excitement filled the air as the person flying from the end of the line was snapped off and went sailing into a snow bank. The day was perfect, we laughed so much and I felt loved, warm and protected.

The thing is, this picture exists only in my dreams. It is a scene I played out in my head and captured on the pages of my mind then stored in my heart. I longed for a family that frolicked, laughed and giggled from the sheer joy of being family. I have cherished this photo for years, if only in my dreams.



I Remember writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Begin your non-fiction autobiographical story or poem with the words 'I remember...' Complete the sentence conveying a moment, an object, a feeling, etc. This does not have to be a profound memory, but should allow readers insight into your feelings, observations and/or thoughts. Use at least 100, but not more than 1,000 words. The count should be stated in your author notes.


286 words
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Judith Ann All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Judith Ann has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.