Biographical Poetry posted December 30, 2015 Chapters:  ...126 127 -128- 129... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
An Octogram with Envoi

A chapter in the book Family

Oof!

by Treischel



I went snow tubing on a hill,
with such a bang.
The slipping swoosh, a winter thrill!
I ran and sprang
to win a speed race with the kids,
as tubes are lacking any skids
one needs some force, to impress gang
with such a bang.

I summoned up my massive will,
without a pang.
I ran full speed with all my skill,
and as I hang,
that tube took off, while stranding me.
My belly flopped indignantly,
I heard ribs crack above harangue,
with such a bang.

Oof!





Winter sports have their hazards. Sometimes your ride can get away from you, as this photo shows. It happened to me. I cracked my ribs one year snow tubing. I wanted to get a running jump start while racing my daughter down the hill. I set the tube down and backed up a few paces. Then ran as fast as I could and leaped into the air. But as I launched into the air, the tube went down the hill without me. I did a massive belly-flop on the hardpack snow at the top of the hill. It must have been quite a sight, as I laid there groaning while everybody else laughed their heads off. I tried to convey that event here. It hurt to laugh about it for several weeks.

This poem is an Octogram.
The Octogram is a style of poetry invented by Fanstorian Sally Yocom (S.Yocom). It consists of two stanzas of eight lines each, with a very specific syllable count and rhyme scheme.
Syllable count is 84848884, repeat on second stanza.
Rhyme scheme:ABabccbB ababddbB, where B repeats same text.
For this poem I changed it to ABabccbB ababddAB.
No more than 16 lines.
The tempo is tetrameter on the 8 count line, and dimeter on the 4 count line, but not necessarily iambic.

I took this photograph in December of 2012.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.