Family Non-Fiction posted November 10, 2015


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Dissecting my jewellery box

Tangible Memories

by GWHARGIS

I'm not a jewelry kind of person. The thought of diamond rings, emerald pendents and sapphire earrings have never made me quiver. I would rather receive a book or art supplies on my birthday or Christmas.
Why then do I have a huge jewelry box? Well, in all honesty, I do have some jewelry. I have a Bolivar watch that belonged to my father. I have ten pins that adorned his uniform. I have a key on a chain. The only reason I still have it is because my oldest swallowed it and it had to be surgically removed.
There are rocks that he brought me when he went to visit his dad. When he put those specially picked bits of gravel in my hand, they became precious gems.
I have a very fashionable macaroni necklace from my oldest daughter. An eclectic pair of earrings from my younger daughter, and an over sized tissue paper corsage made by my youngest.
I almost forgot the dice my husband brought me from Vegas.
No, you wouldn't get ten dollars if you pawned the contents of my jewelry box. All anyone would see is a few rocks, and some badly made knick knacks.
But me, I see the beautiful faces of my family.
So, keep your Jared's and Kay jewelers boxes and I'll keep my treaures.



Recognized


Was going through some things trying to downsize when I rediscovered my treasures. I'm sure I'm not alone. Trying to work myself back into regular writing. Thanks to Angelheart for the cool picture.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GWHARGIS All rights reserved.
GWHARGIS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.