Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted October 24, 2015 Chapters:  ...317 318 -319- 320... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Lai Poem

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Striving Upward

by Treischel



Take the bending trail,
Follow without fail
Uphill.
Efforts that prevail,
Often will avail,
To thrill
In every detail,
And never curtail
Your will.






Recognized


Never give up. Find that winding trail uphill. I thought this photograph, which is the true Muse for this poem, conveyed a trail that winds.

This poem is a Lai.
A Lai is a lyrical, narrative poem. Lais were mainly composed in France and Germany, during the 13th and 14th centuries. The English term "Lay" is a 13th-century loan from Old French "Lai". The origin of the French term itself is unclear; perhaps it is itself a loan from German Leich. It is the building block for the later Virelai. This form looks to be a very simple form comprising of a five syllabled couplet followed by a two syllable line (5-5-2) for nine lines. The Lai is a very old French form and tradition states that the short line must not be indented, it must be left dressed to the poem. This is known as Arbre Fourchu (Forked Tree), a pattern meant to be set up as a tree.

The number of lines is fixed at nine. The rhyme pattern is...
a. a. b. a. a. b. a. a. b.
A single stanza Lai is also known as a Bergette, while multiple stanzas are known as Virelai.

This photo was taken by author himself on October 13, 2015.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.