Essay Fiction posted October 12, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A really bad week.

Horrible week

by barbara.wilkey


Last week as been a week I don't choose to really don't choose to repeat anytime soon. I mentioned last week in my author's notes our sewer had gone out. We called our home owner's warranty who labeled our situation as a priority because it affected both bathrooms. Bright and early Monday morning, a plumber, who we had used before arrived. He was prepared to rotor rooter our lines. Guess what? He couldn't. Our house does not have an outside relief. (I keep thinking another word should come after relief but it doesn't have another word.) He didn't have time to put one in on Monday, but made another appointment for Friday. We got a call on Wednesday from his secretary/wife, that he was in a truck accident and wouldn't be able do it on Friday and will let us know when. It's a ma and pa plumbing company. His wife is to call us today.

On the way home from work Friday, I stopped and got $10.00 worth of quarters, to take my clothes Saturday morning to the laundry mat. I was going to wash them and then dry them at home. About 10:00 PM, I started vomiting and about thirty minutes later the diarrhea began. I spent the next seven hours and approximately ten minutes with one end over the toilet and the other over a garbage can. M husband's contribution to the situation was to give me a box of kitty litter. Please remember, our sewer isn't working. After finally getting a few hours of sleep, I took my temperature, 102.4 degrees. Now, I'm officially ill.

I need to share this information with you so you understand the next part of my story. My husband, Brian has a seizure disorder, stemming from the first Gulf War. The Saudi's dumped sarin gas on some our soldiers. His seizures are normally controlled by medicine, but a little over a month ago he suffered from an extremely long one that put him in the emergency room. Bottom line, it's illegal for him to drive.
Brian cautiously walked into the bedroom. "Do you feel well enough to drive me to WalMart?"

I must have given him one of my 'if looks could kill' look, because he walked out of the room. I called out, "Give me a chance to get clothes on."

I drive him to Wal-Mart, go back to bed, and wait for his call. He did call. I went out to my car and the car wouldn't start, engine wouldn't even turn over. I went into our twenty-two year old son's room to grab his car keys, mumbled something about he could've taken his dad to Wal-Mart, and left. While waiting for Brian, I turned off the car. Brian loads his packages, and I turn the key, nothing, nada. I am officially a car killer. After Brian said a few choice words that I won't repeat, he fidgeted with something in the engine, nothing. He opened the driver's side door and told me to turn the key, again. It worked. We have no idea why opening a door worked but we relayed the message to Steven in case he ever has issues.

Back home, I went to bed while Brian proceeded to work magic on my beloved 2012 Malibu, not a really old car. Nothing, again. He charged the battery, nothing. He read the owner's manual, nothing. He did research on-line, nothing. With the extended warranty in hand, he returned to the bedroom. "Well, your extra $2000 warranty better come in handy because I can't fix it. There's a reason I stick to my manual Ford pick-up. It doesn't have all those fancy gadgets. I checked what fuses I could and they're all good."

Yesterday, I remained in bed. I was doing better, only 101 degree temperature. Today I'm still not great but I have decided I will live. My first order of business was to call my Chevy dealer, to see, and was praying, if my extended warranty would cover whatever was wrong with Miss Malibu. I meticulously described her symptoms. I was told that it sounded like for some reason the anti-theft device activated itself and it's not covered under warranty. Oh yes, and towing isn't covered either. The nearest Chevy Dealership is twenty miles away. Well, next I called our car insurance and found out we have towing for eleven miles. It's better than nothing. My car's having surgery and I'm anxiously waiting for the results. I am not sure how I'm going to get it after it's repaired. Brian can't legally drive and Steven has a midterm tonight. He's at class now.

You may still question my comment about last being a horrible week, so I'll continue we've had two credit cards hacked into. We've been lucky enough that the companies are taking care of the charges. It seems to have been charged from foreign countries.

This brings me to today. Brian has given me a strict talking to about stretching myself too thin. He wants me to give something up and I don't want to. I can't leave my teaching for two reasons, first and most importantly, I love the kids and would miss them. Secondly, I haven't been here long enough for retirement. My age plus my years have to add up to eighty. I will retire then. My previous years teaching have been all over the US and Germany. I've never been anywhere long enough to have anything in a retirement. I also don't want to leave my writing. I can't leave Jim with a gun shot. What would Soni do? That leaves me with a problem. I have decided to solve my problem by reviewing less. I do have angels who already put me in first place each Sunday. There's no way I can expect them to do more. I can usually only review enough to get twenty-five pumps, a chest and glasses. So I'm giving notice that I pray you'll still review me, but I won't be able to reward you for your help.

On top of all of this, today is my wedding anniversary.



Recognized


I don't expect any reviews on this post. I also haven't taken time to do hardly any editing. I appreciate all my fan. I hope you know that.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.