General Poetry posted September 13, 2015 Chapters:  ...297 298 -299- 300... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Hex Sonnetta

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Spellbound

by Treischel



Bright flowers placed with pride,
all set in patterned rows.
or drifting water flows,
where oft' I go inside,
as senses may collide
between my eyes and nose.

This lovely plant tableau
of colors most profuse,
is perfect poet's muse.
For there the mind lets go,
to wander to and fro,
while passions are let loose.

To sense the sights, the smells,
Is felt like magic spells.






A spot where I find lots of inspiration. This is the Marguary McNeeley Conservatory at Como Park in St. Paul, Minnesota. Admission is free. It is just one of several indoor garden rooms, know as the Sunken Garden.

This poem is a Hex Sonnetta.
The Hex Sonnetta, created by Andrea Dietrich, consists of two six-line stanzas and a finishing rhyming couplet with the following set of rules:

Meter: Iambic Trimeter (6 Syllables)
Rhyme Scheme: abbaab cddccd ee

This particular form uses six syllables of iambic trimeter per line. Thus, the name Hex Sonnetta, as it keys off the number 6. The first part of the form's name refers to the syllable count per line, as well as six lines per Stanza. The second part of the name, Sonnetta, is to show this to be a form similar to the Sonnet, yet with its shorter lines and different rhyme scheme, it is not the typical Sonnet. Not only does this poem have six syllables per line, it also has a set of two six-line stanzas, giving an extra "hex" to the meaning of Hex Sonnetta. The rhyme scheme, with the two 6-line stanzas has more of an Italian feel. The rhyming couplet completes the classic 14 line format of the Sonnet.

This photograph was taken by the author himself on March 1, 2012.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.