Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted September 10, 2015 Chapters:  ...298 299 -300- 301... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Decuain Poem

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Cling

by Treischel



The dragonfly that hangs upon the edge
And clings tenaciously to slender leaf,
Reminds me of the fears we all allege
To conquer, as life's journey is so brief,
And time will steal our moments like a thief.
But soon the dragonfly lets go and flies,
As we must let go any false belief.
There are no more eternal alibi's,
And fate will never listen to our cries,
If all the good within us ever dies.






Poem of the Month contest entry


A dragonfly tightly clinging to the edge of a Water Lily leaf gave me the inspiration for this poem. I spotted him at the Nature Preserve in Maplewood, Minnesota. This dragonfly is a Blue Darner (Aeshna Canadensis). Their common name is a direct reference to their eyes, which often are an intense blue. They are plentiful within their geographic range, which includes the central and western United States, southern Canada, Mexico and Central America. These independent dragonflies are generally drawn to swamps, ponds and lakes, particularly those at lower altitudes. Blue darners also like sluggish creeks that have plants on the sides. They usually manage fine in alkaline water. They cope with high daytime temperatures by staying in trees or tucked away between plants. The preferences of mature blue darners range from stoneflies to moths to mosquitoes. They feed in the beginning of the day and at night. Blue-eyed darners are adept at flying, sometimes whizzing at several mph while searching for sustenance.

This poem is a Decuain Poem.
The Decuain (pronounced deck-won), created by Shelley A. Cephas, is a short poem made up of 10 lines, which can be written on any subject. There are 10 syllables per line and the poem is written in iambic pentameter.

There are 3 set choices of rhyme scheme:

ababbcbcaa, ababbcbcbb, or ababbcbccc

For a longer Decuain poem, add more stanzas.
For this poem, I chose the ababbcbccc rhyme scheme.

This photograph was thaen by the author himself on June 21, 2012.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.