General Poetry posted September 9, 2015 Chapters:  ...296 297 -298- 299... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
An Alouette Poem

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Lovely Loons

by Treischel



Listen to the Loon
Sing north woodland's tune.
It may linger, echoing,
Far across the lake.
Lonely sounds they make.
A distinctive song they sing.


In the North they thrive,
Where they swim and dive,
Then appear another place,
Lost along the shore.
Spotting them once more,
You may marvel at their grace.






Recognized


I love to hear and watch the Loons on the northern lakes. Their long eerie calls are iconic sounds of the northwoods. They are incredible swimmers. One minute you'll be watching them glide along the surface. Then suddenly, they disappear in a dive. Eventually they pop up somewhere else on the lake. You have to search to find them again. You may not find them, until they call again.

This poem is an Alouette Poem.
The Alouette, created by Jan Turner, consists of two or more stanzas of 6 lines each, with the following set rules:

Meter: 5, 5, 7, 5, 5, 7
Rhyme Scheme: a, a, b, c, c, b

The form name is a French word meaning 'skylark' or larks that fly high, the association to the lark's song being appropriate for the musical quality of this form. The word 'alouette' can also mean a children's song (usually sung in a group), and although this poetry form is not necessarily for children's poetry (but can be applied that way), it is reminiscent of that style of short lines. Preference for the meter accent is on the third syllable of each line.

This picture is one of the author's. It is actually a stuffed Loon that was on display at the Science Museum. The photograph was taken April 22, 2012.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.