Biographical Poetry posted August 24, 2015 Chapters:  ...306 307 -308- 309... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Roserian Sonnet

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Washburn Watertower

by Treischel



The shoreline with this forest scene
Is blanketed in verdant green.
A water tower peeking through
Is in the Washburn neighborhood
Near where the fam'ly homestead stood.

It's plainly seen across the lake,
Where strolling walkers oft' partake
To glimpse this portion of the view,
When near the place her ashes rest,
As truly fits a last behest.

Her brood all grew near tower's site.
This lake, her favorite place to be.
She's near where she raised family
At rest in waters day and night.







This is a picture of the Washburn Watertower standing above the shoreline of Lake Harriet in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It is near Washburn High School, where my wife, Karen, graduated. Her childhood home is practically kitty-corner from the tower. Washburn is an early Minnesota industrialist who helped build the lock and dam at St. Anthony Falls which helped power the grain milling industry. He founded the company that later became General Mills. More pageant to the poem, we recently have strewn some of her mother's ashes in the Lake.

This poem is a Roserian Sonnet
The Roserian Sonnet was created by Jose Rizal M. Reyes of the Philippines. It consists of two Quintets or Quintrains (5 line stanza) plus a closing Quatrain. The two Quintrains are interlinked with a shared rhytme in the third line (middle) of each. So there are two rhyming couplets in the first stanza with another rhyme sandwiched between them that matches the one in the center of the second stanza. It's almost like a peek-a-boo rhyme. The closing Quatrain uses an enveloping rhyme. It's usually written in iambic. Volta somewhere after line 8.
So it's a Quintet + Quintet + Quatrain, using a rhyme scheme of:

aabcc ddbee fggf

This picture was taken by the Author himself on August 21,2015.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.