General Poetry posted August 16, 2015 Chapters:  ...316 317 -318- 319... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
An Asean Sonnet

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Bumble Bees

by Treischel



I often watch the humble bumble bees
That glide and swoop with ease upon the breeze.
Their presence on the clover guarantees
The propagation of its properties.
It's easy here to spot the likes of these.
Their bodies are distinctive when one sees
The black and yellow furred extremities,
Or hear clear buzzing wing-borne frequencies.

With nests that might be found in ground or trees,
Disturbing them can cause extreme unease
From stings applied by frequent pain degrees
Which lead to dire health emergencies.

So, carefully watch these bees, if you please.
Their actions bolster our economies.



Recognized


The Bumble Bee is an interesting insect. It is a member of the bee genus Bombus, in the family Apidae. The generic name Bombus, assigned by Pierre Andre Latreille in 1802, is derived from the Latin word for a buzzing or humming sound. The body is round and furry, so it can stand more extreme temperatures, and it will be found in more northern climates. It has a longer tongue (or probiscus) than the honey bee, so it can get nectar from flowers and plants that other bees can't, most notably tomato plants, clover, and alfalfa. Other bees require a more open flower. So they are extremely important to the Tomato Industry. They usually won't sting, except to defend their hives, which are often on the ground where they can inadvertently be disturbed by lawnmowers or hiker's steps. A bumble bee can sting a person several times, as their stingers aren't barbed like the honey bee's. Their venom is quite strong and can send a human to the emergency room.
The nests, which usually contain about fifty insects, only last one season. Source: Wikipedia.

This poem is an Asean Sonnet.
The Asean Sonnet was created by Jose Rizal M. Reyes. Its two unique features are: that it contains a format of an Octive( 8 lines), plus a Quatrain (4 lines), closed by a couplet (2 lines); and it is completely momo-rhymed for all 14 lines. This makes for a poem where a single rhyme throughout requires a very careful choice of rhyme words and subject matter. Volta begins at line 9.

This picture was taken by the author himself on May 27, 2012.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.