Biographical Non-Fiction posted August 14, 2015 Chapters:  ...44 45 -46- 

This work has reached the exceptional level
Our final trip, for now. - Epilogue.

A chapter in the book Our Trip Book.

Cooma & Snowy Mountains Part 2

by Tootsie55

If you are a new reader, this is the final chapter of "Our Trip Book." If you are keen, it is recommended you go back and read the first few chapters, as detailed summaries are too difficult.

16th March – Sunday – We got away at 8.30 a.m., Geoff drove to Jindabyne.  A nice town, but was windy and cold.  We visited the Information Centre, got some brochures, souvenirs and other information.  We had morning tea in the “Parc” Café, inside the Information Centre, also housing the local council and a cinema in the one complex. 

From Cooma to Jindabyne was 62.5 km, 44 minutes, drive on Jindabyne Road and Kosciusko Road.

Back to our car, and I drove this time.  Down the road from the Information Centre, went to have a look at Lake Jindabyne.  It was a pretty sight, except for the construction work on the boardwalk.

We started heading out towards Charlotte's Pass, from Jindabyne to Charlotte's Pass was 38.8 km, 33 minutes, drive on Kosciusko Road, we had to stop at the ticket station to get a pass to enter the Kosciuszko National Park for 1 day.  We showed them our pension card first, Geoff was having trouble finding his card, so I got mine out.  Pensioners got in for free, they gave us a sticker to put on the window of our car. 

Off on our way to Charlotte's Pass on the Kosciuszko Road, it was 80 km of very curvy road. It started to get really windy, the car was being buffetted. It was cold and I couldn’t believe how fast the clouds were moving.  The road was narrow, no fences, cliffs on either side, making me panic a little and getting nervous. I wasn’t sitting comfortably at the time. I slowed down driving around the mountains, there were desolate trees and the eerie feeling that went with it.  We passed through Smiggins Holes, Perisher Valley, seeing all the chalets and building accommodation, chairlifts as we continued on.  Everything was closed up at that "off-season" time of year. 

I drove to the end of the road, a roundabout at Charlotte's Pass and we saw the bushwalking tracks that went down into the Kosciuszko National Park.  As I was driving around the roundabout we saw half a dozen bushwalkers all well rugged up, walking towards the tracks.  I said to Geoff:  “Their nuts, going on the walks in this condition, it’s windy and freezing cold!”                                                                               

We stopped on the side of the road for a while and I got myself comfortable in the driver seat.  We saw the Charlotte's Pass Ski Resort Village from the top of the hill, quite a sight to look at, noting the steep road that went down into the valley.  The village looked cold, grey and isolated with low cloud falling into the valley. One part of the clouds looking like a waterfall, quite pretty. 

 While we were sitting in the car on the side of the road, taking in the scenery, we chatted for a while, Geoff said:
“Do you want to change drivers?”
I said, “No, it’s too cold, I’ll get blown away out there!”

I drove back to Jindabyne, where we stopped at a Meat Pie Shop to get some lunch which we ate in the car.  We headed back to Cooma, 101.3km, 1 hour and 18 minutes drive, for a rest for the remainder of the afternoon. That night, we went to the R.S.L (Returned Soldiers) Club for tea, which opened at 5.30 p.m.  I wanted to get there early, so we could get a disabled parking spot.  We enjoyed a meal of Garlic Bread for entrée, Roast Lamb and Vegetables for the main course.  The Club was small but nice.  Coming out of the Club it was freezing cold so we headed back to our motel to warm up for the night.

17th March – Monday – Last day in Cooma. It was a cold morning. Leaving the motel at 8 a.m., I drove to Adaminaby to a have a look there. Only a small town with a few shops, A population of 250 people.  We had a look around town and stopped to get some morning tea there.  From Cooma to Adaminaby was 51.6 km, 35 minutes, drive on B27 – Snowy Mountains Highway.


We asked someone how to get to Lake Eucumbene. It was only 10 minutes away from the town of Adaminaby.  We had to go out on the main road and turn left onto Old Adaminaby Road to what was left of the town of Old Adaminaby, to get to the Lake.  The rest of Old Adaminaby was "under the lake!"

We arrived at a spectacular view, it was huge.  Geoff took some snapshots of the Lake while I was waiting in the car, I saw a very small burial ground on the side of the road near the lake.  


We headed back to Cooma to get some petrol, orange juice, and something at the Chemist.  Driving back to our motel, we had some lunch and an early afternoon shower before it got cold.   In the Snowy Mountains area, it got cold early in the season. We went there at the right time, as had we gone there any later, it would have been a lot colder.  We rested for the remainder of the afternoon, Geoff having his time out of the 5 hours the motel supplied of internet time.

We had ordered pizza that night but there was a mess up with our meal, so Geoff rang up the receptionist for room service, ordered a bowl of hot chips and tomato sauce.  Geoff was having a vertigo attack as well.


18th March – Tuesday – We rose at 3.40 a.m., Geoff had some time on the laptop computer, I got up, had breakfast, then Geoff started having another vertigo attack.  Later, after daylight had dawned, I suggested I carry some of the luggage out to the car while Geoff pushed me to make things a bit easier for him, allowing him something to hang onto.  On the last load of luggage, I didn’t have my feet in the footplate "stirrups" properly.

I was loaded up too much and at the front door, there was a very amateur attempt at a concrete "ramp??" ...With a steep edge on it.   Geoff wheeled me out with the luggage and everything went flying. I slipped out of the wheelchair and couldn’t get back in. Adding to that, my leg was hurting on the footplate strap pin.  Geoff rang up the receptionist to come and help us.  The daughter of the owner came down and helped me into the wheelchair.  I was pretty sore and in a state of shock. 
After that, Geoff put me in the car.

He said, “The vertigo is going away,” and he finished doing the packing up of the car.  We left Cooma around 8 a.m., I drove to Queanbeyan, arriving there at 9 a.m. for morning tea. 


We got to the Hamilton Townhouse Motel, to unload our luggage and get the room key.  After that was sorted we drove around town to find the Queanbeyan Leagues Club and went in to wait for our visitors, Geoff’s sister-in-law Margaret's brother, Michael and his wife Rosalyn to arrive.   Michael had been the Youth leader, many, many years before at Geoff's first church at Marsfield. We all had lunch in the Club Bistro.  Just at the end of lunch, Geoff had a further small vertigo attack.           


We came back to our motel for the rest of the day, ordering room service for that night, Fish, Hot Chips and Vegetables. Not sure we should have had a second big meal that night.


19th March – Wednesday – We slept well the night before.  I drove to the Information Centre to get some things and we had a look around the town with morning tea at the Riverside Plaza Uptown Café again. That night, we went to the Queanbeyan Leagues Club for tea then back to our motel for the night.


20th March – Thursday – Leaving Queanbeyan in the peak hour, the traffic was very heavy.  Once we got out onto the freeway we were fine. We stopped at Goulburn McDonald’s for a snack. Geoff drove all the way, and we arrived home - to the 'rat race!' We called into St Clair shops to re-stock the necessities and get some food. We got home at lunchtime.  Unpacked some of the gear, had lunch, then unpacked some more gear. 

We enjoyed the trip except for a few hassles we had.



This was the end of our holidays. We might have taken some short trips later if we could have in the future but you will see in some links below to Geoff's book why this was, sadly, not to be.

We had good, sad and disappointing times on our trips. We had to stop because of our health, aches and pains. Geoff's back problems, vertigo attacks, and hearing difficulties. Both of us getting old, more limited in our mobility, the long distances to travel and biggest of all - change.

The other reasons were, every time we would go away, the petrol prices always went up. Food and accommodation costs rose, and sometimes, getting caught with bad management of properties. Add to that, disabled rooms not up to standard, poor beds, dirty rooms, misleading information and everything was becoming too expensive.

I would like to thank my husband, Geoff for doing all the hard work of proofreading for me and getting the holiday diary and photos on Fan Story, as part of our life story. It has helped me to speed up things in getting all of this together into a book.

Louise Moore (Tootsie55)


Photo Index:Top Left: Jindabyne in the Summer; Top Right: Jindabyne in Snow Season; Second Left:Snowy Mountains Region;Second Right: National Parks Permit;Third Left:Wall map on Community shed, of the Region;Third Right: Adaminaby Postcard;Fourth Left: Lake Eucumbene, created by the Hydro Scheme, and covering Old Adaminaby;Fourth Right: Front- Geoff (l) Me(r);back Ros and Michael, old friends of Geoff's from many years ago.

Charlottes Pass


More on Adaminaby

Following are some links to Geoff's (sankey account) autobiography final chapters if readers care to read, going into a lot more detail as to why we quit our trips after this last one.

Major Bend In Our Road 1.

Major Bend In Our Road 2.

Major Bend In Our Road 3.

Major Bend In Our Road 4.

Major Bend In Our Road 5.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.

© Copyright 2019. Tootsie55 All rights reserved.
Tootsie55 has granted, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.