General Poetry posted August 7, 2015 Chapters:  ...275 276 -277- 278... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Slide Sonnet

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Tree Top Thoughts

by Treischel




When e'er thou buildest nest, best not to build with twigs,
Unless an eagle be, who decorates with sprigs.
For comfort be thy goal,
when e'er thou buildest nest,
Unless thee thrive in trees, a softer nest is best.

A home is meant to be a place where most relax.
Not likely, when thy rump is sitting on sharp tacks.
That's not the common way
a home is meant to be.
But then again, most are not living in a tree.

Did nature compensate for giving birds their wings?
To gain command of air, did give up other things?
I oft' have wondered thus.
Did nature compensate?
When given gift of flight, is treetop home thy fate?

'Tis just this observation, subtly profound,
When God was making plans, we humans lived on ground.


 



Recognized


I just think that an Eagle's nest looks very uncomfortable and very exposed to the weather. So, even though I have often thought that I'd like to be an eagle, and to soar to the heights, when I think about living in or on one of their nests, I change my mnd. I'll keep my soft bed and pillow in a nice warm house, thank you. Besides, we learned to make airplanes now.

I thought a touch of Olde English would add to the feel of the poem.

This poem is a Slide Sonnet.
The Slide Sonnet was created by Victoria Sutton, aka "PassionsPromise."
Like most Sonnets, it has 14 lines. It is composed with eight, ten, or twelve syllables to each line. The unique feature of this format is, that the first half of the first line of each stanza, "slides" to the last half of the third line, creating a unique poetic repetition. The rhyme scheme may be in any of the standard Sonnet rhyme schemes, either: aabb ccdd eeff gg (coupled), or abab cdcd efef gg (alternating), or abba cddc effe gg (enveloped). It is typically done in iambic. The volta, or turn, occurs at line 9.

This photograph was taken by the author himself with a high power lens from 200 yards away, across a river, on March 12, 2015.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.