General Poetry posted August 5, 2015 Chapters:  ...285 286 -287- 288... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Tirrell Sonnet

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Enjoy a Fire

by Treischel


I love to sit about, enjoy a fire,
To watch those dancing flames is my desire,

To be entranced by open flick'ring flame
That draws my gaze into its very heart,
Where hidden mysteries remain unclaimed.

Aromas of that burning wood impart
A feeling that the fragrances proclaim,
Of camping reveries that often came
With woodland explorations from the start,

In places much too numerous to name
That left impressions as the fondest part,
As each new pyre reminds me why I came.

To watch those dancing flames is my desire,
I love to sit about, enjoy a fire.






I love a good campfire. Whether burning birch, oak, pine, or cedar, the aromas are wonderful. I can stare into the flames for hours. Any time I smell a fire, it takes me back.

This poem is a Tirrell Sonnet.
A Tirrell Sonnet was created by Robert Tirrell Leonard, a poet from Woburn, MA. who is also a politician and author of several poetry collections.
The Tirrell Sonnet (an American model), is quite different and has a unique feel to it. It starts with a couplet followed by a tercet, followed by a quatrain, adding the turn with a following tercet and then reversing the order of the repeated couplet as a sort of refrain.
So it is: Couplet + Tercet + Quatrain + Tercet + reversed Couplet.
It features only 3 rhymes (a,b,and c). It is written in iambic pentameter.
This can create an introspective feel to the whole poem.
The rhyme scheme is:
A1, A2 - b,c,b - c,b,b,c - b,c,b - A2, A1,
where the capital letters indicate the repeated verses and the numbers provide identification.

In this one, the volta is a bit subtle, but it moves away from a description of the fire itself, to the connection with location.

This picture was taken by the author himself in September, 2011.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.