General Poetry posted August 3, 2015 Chapters:  ...288 289 -290- 291... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Tory Hexatet Sonnet

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Geese at Peace

by Treischel



A lazy summer day on lush pastoral hill,
Provides a pleasant backdrop artists contemplate,
That gives a feathered family of geese their fill
Of seeds, in fresh-cut grass upon a large estate.
The parents both provide examples, what to choose.
Their youngsters follow, looking like some yellow puffs.
It's such a treat to watch these gratifying views,
To see all these small geese in fuzzy downy fluff.

We love babies of any kind.
They help to set a tranquil mind.

For when we see these youngsters with their mom and dad
They represent simplicity we wish we had.
It's plain to see these birds all seem to have such peace.
I wish we all could be as happy as these geese.






A family of geese on a fresh cut hillside, The little ones look like fuzzy balls of fur. Such a peaceful setting got me wishing and musing. I captured it in a photograph, then wrote this piece specifically for it.

This poem is a Tory Hexatet Sonnet.
This is a sonnet form created by Victoria Sutton aka PassionsPromise and name by Larry Eberhart, aka Lawrencealot.

It consists of an Octet + couplet + quatrain, with a rhyme scheme of:
ababcdcd ee ffgg.

The format features the first eight lines (the Octet) in 12 syllable iambic hexameter, but the rhyming couplet holds to eight syllables (iambic tetrameter), located at line 9, rather than at the end. The last last four lines of the closing quatrain revert back to 12 syllables. So the poem retains the signature total 14 lines of a Sonnet.
The couplet in the center provides the "changing point", or volta. The shorter meter provides a visual, as well as oral impact. Thus, It makes a direct statement and could be read by itself.

This photograph was taken by the author himself of these Canadian Geese in Woodbury, Minnesota on May 22, 2015.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.