Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted July 6, 2015 Chapters:  ...257 258 -259- 260... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Dante's Variation Sonnet

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Imagination Spawned

by Treischel



A gift - to travel visions of the mind,
Imagining all things of every kind,
To travel to the most exotic places,
Encountering hosts of alien faces,
Or following paths of those who left traces,
Uncovering the truths yet undefined.

Uncommon things the mind has just divined,
The likes of visions yet to be refined,
Until they've gone and touched a sensing soul,
Or met the challenge of a leading role
That was so tense emotions lost control,
Then, only then, have particles aligned.

For that is what the Masters all desire --
Achievement touched by blessed inspiration,
With extraordinary mood elation,
The likes the Grecian gods would oft' admire.

These geniuses of yesterday's empires,
Who dreamed and brought about civilization,
With such a gifted strong imagination,
Are those whose spark lit ancient worlds on fire.







Imagination is the spark that drives creation and inspiration. It kick-started civilization, and nutures my muse. So here is a compilation of those thoughts.

I am embarking on an adventure of writing various Sonnet styles. I just completed a classic Shakspearean Sonnet. So now, I thought I'd introduce a variation spawned from the Imagination of the famous poet, Dante, who wrote The Inferno.

This poem is Dante's Variation of Sonnets.
The most common Italian Sonnets are written in the Petrarchan format of a 14 line set consisting of two quatrains with two closing tercets having the rhyme scheme: abba abba cdc cdc. Dante wrote a 20 line deviation to this style. Most Sonnets in Dante's La Vita Nuova are Petrarchan. Chapter VII gives sonnet "O voi che per la via", with two sestets (aabaab aabaab ) and two quatrains (cddc cddc), and Ch. VIII, "Morte villana", with two sestets (aabbba aabbba) and two quatrains (cddc cddc).
I've am recreating his variation using the aabbba form of Chapter VIII In iambic pentameter, (but lines 3,4.5, 14,15, 18, and 19 are intentionally feminine). I chose that because, I personally like 3 consecutive repeated lines. So this intrigued me when I read about it.

This picture is me, taken with a warping app.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.