Letters and Diary Fiction posted May 26, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Preparing for death

Room Service

by Spiritual Echo

Darling Children:

Don't spend any time second-guessing why I chose to end my life, the signs you missed or question what you could have done. There's nothing that could have altered my course of action.

I planned this in a way to protect all of you from the trauma of having to find my body. You have, no doubt, been notified by the coroner's office that my remains have been removed from the Hyatt Regency Hotel where I spent my last night. In the lap of luxury, I allowed myself to order an exquisite bottle of wine, a steak dinner, a meal I haven't been permitted in years, and a calorie-drenched dessert. I was well aware that my battle with Krohns disease, among so many other wars my body has endured, would quickly cause intense pain, but when I finished my meal, I took the pills, finished the wine and simply passed away. There was no distress, no pain and no sorrows.

On my desk, the red binder labelled 'just in case,' includes all my financial documents, including my will and instructions for my pre-paid funeral. I've left nothing to chance, and you, my children, should have nothing to squabble about. You will also find personal letters I've written to each of you saying my goodbyes, and telling you how very grateful I was to have been your mother.

I've loved you all--so very much. May it be enough for you to feel confident facing the world with joy and anticipation, to laugh and cry, savour and relish your lives to the fullest--as I have mine.

For me, the ravages of a diseased body have stolen the possibility of future happiness. I have died with dignity, and leave it to you to celebrate my life. Mama



A Suicide Note contest entry

Recognized


One of the greatest expressions of love we can demonstrate to our families is to look after the business of dying. To ease the burden, having our affairs in order, and leaving no surprises, is a gift to those we love.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Spiritual Echo All rights reserved.
Spiritual Echo has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.