General Poetry posted May 22, 2015 Chapters:  ...243 244 -245- 246... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Triptic Sonnet

A chapter in the book Little Poems

OH Dandelion

by Treischel


Oh dandelion, golden harbinger of spring,
I keep my eye on thee! You populate my lawn.
Your lion heads appeared so suddenly one dawn,
A yellow carpet, spread for bees to feast upon.

I find thy presence here a most amazing thing.
Eradication of thy growth has been my goal.
I've poisoned, pulled, and used all kinds of weed control.
Yet still, I find entire generations whole.

And, there's a reproductive weapon that you bring.
As if your stubborn stamina were not enough,
That golden head becomes a whitened ball of fluff
That spreads its seeds, when blows a single windy puff.

Though there are many angry thoughts these weeds inspire,
It's their survival strategy I must admire.








Although dandelions are consideres to be obnoxious weeds, you have to admire their ability to successfully survive regardless of all the efforts to eradicate them.

This poem is a Triptic Sonnet. Never heard of that? Well, that's because I just created it. At least, to the best of my knowledge and research. You see, I like poems that have triple consecutive rhymes. I feel that really brings the rhyme to life. So, I incorporated that here in this Sonnet. The name Triptic derives from the triple scheme.

A Triptic Sonnet has the usual 14 lines, consisting of three quatrains with a rhyming couplet, and a volta at line 9. What distinguishes it is the rhyme scheme and meter. The fist line of each quatrain rhyme with each other, interlinking the stanzas. The next 3 lines of the stanza all ryhme, creating a elegant echo effect. The rhyme scheme is:
abbb accc addd ee
It is written in any iambic meter. I chose iambic heptameter here (12 syllables, or 6 poetic feet).

This photograph was taken by the author himself in his own backyard on May 21, 2015.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.