Essay Non-Fiction posted April 25, 2015


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Story in the news (short)

Head transplant.

by robina1978


A Russian man with a severe muscle disease will get a head transplant soon. Performed by an Italian Neurosurgeon: D, Canavera,Critics have described the plans as 'pure fantasy'' but
40 years ago it was done on apes with success. The Specialist says the technique is available, needs to be adjusted somewhat.

He already has a long waiting list. But I think the Russian man is prioritised. He knows the ins and outs, all the risk like even death. But he is dying anyway.

The Italian Doctor would love to do it in London.

[The new body would come from a normal transplant donor who is brain dead. Both the donor and the patient would have their head severed from their spinal cord at the same time, using an ultra-sharp blade to give a clean cut. The patient's head would then be moved on to the donor's body and attached using a 'glue' called polyethylene glycol to fuse the two ends of the spinal cord together.] Source the Internet.

The muscles and blood supply will be stitched up Then the patient is put in a drug-induced coma for a month to stop him moving, so body and head heal together.

Then they will give small electric shocks to stimulate the spinal cord and make the connections between head and body stronger.

When awakened from his coma, the patient can feel his head and even talk with his own voice.
Strong immune suppressants are given to prevent rejection.

He will receive psychological guidance

Dr Canavero says he believes it would be ethically sound to carry out the procedure when people have no other hope of a cure.

However, the ethical arguments extend past the transplant itself.

Initially, a shortage of donors means that the surgery would be limited to those with severe illness. But eventually, it could be used to allow healthy people to live longer.

Some foreign Consultants think the timing is too quickly. One Californian who did spinal cords operations reckons it will never happen.

My leg was pulled years ago that a brain transplant was possible.

Let's wait and see.

.











Recognized


Courtesy to the Internet for the photo of the Russian man.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. robina1978 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
robina1978 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.