Essay Non-Fiction posted April 18, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Short Essay

An Artist Is A Rarity

by michaelcahill















 
As a writer, language is a tool very dear to me. So much hinges on finding the exact word with the perfect nuance of meaning. Is it cold outside or is it chilly? Maybe it is freezing. Alternatively, maybe "the icy breeze cut across my already wounded heart". I suppose "I was sad and it was cold" gets the meaning across, but it doesn't convey the frigid mood the author wishes to convey.
 
I was born into a world of celebrities and movie stars. Baseball players were treated like royalty and singers like Frank Sinatra, Elvis, Ella and Judy Garland were icons.

 
There aren't star singers anymore--just superstars or more specifically, divas. Not just any singer is considered a superstar or diva anymore … they ALL are. For God's sake, I heard Britney Spears referred to as a diva. Really? Did the definition of diva go through some metamorphosis while I sat in my room listening to Barbara Streisand CDs?

No offense to dear Britney, but to mention her in the same class as Barbara or Whitney or even Lady Gaga twists the meaning of the word "Diva" into something I am sure was never intended. Diva and star are words meant to distinguish one level of talent from another.
 
If all singers are stars or divas, then NONE of them are. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm saving my money to see a Mega Diva Super Star. Ahh, but so many to choose from.
 
There are so many words whose meaning has become diluted I find it difficult to choose one to address. Then there are words my grandmother would kill me for using that have become acceptable everyday language. The word "often" was pronounced with a silent "T" when I was young. Indeed, you would be pegged as uneducated or worse if you pronounced it, off-ten. Then there are those words whose true meaning has been lost over the years. "I won't deal with him; he's a scumbag." Wow! Look it up; them's fightin' words where I come from. Scumbag is quite a bit more insulting than most people think.
 
The word at the top of my list is "artist". DaVinci was an artist. Bach was an artist. Brian Wilson is an artist. The guy that built the brick wall surrounding my front yard is a bricklayer in my view. But no, he's an artist at what he does. Really? He's the DaVinci of brick wall builders? Hell, I watched him build that brick wall. You know what? I think I could do it myself. Here I sit, scribbling out this diatribe when I could be a DaVinci caliber bricklayer.
 
I'm familiar with being considered an artist, as are most people who pursue writing, painting or music. We all start from a perspective that is askew. When I was young, my circle of friends didn't include like-minded people who had an appreciation for the music industry. 

I played piano and other musical instruments. I sang, wrote songs, poetry and short stories. Within my small circle, I was unique.

"You're an awesome piano player." 

"You should go to Julliard."

"That's a hit song if I ever heard one."

"That's a great story, as good as anything at the book store."

These were typical comments I heard growing up.

The truth is, among my friends and associates, I was a star. The problem was, my little circle does not a consensus make.
 
I'm lucky. I knew damn well, though I played decent piano, there were thousands of pianists who were better, maybe millions. Anyone can learn to play piano decently. The true artists are in their own class. If I'm sitting in a room of a hundred people, the odds are I am the best piano player in the group. If I'm sitting in a room with a hundred piano players, well, I'm further down the line.
 
Being thought of as talented and an artist, did affect me adversely I believe. I'm lazy to begin with when it comes to practicing and honing my craft. The accolades made me lazier. I never put forth the effort to come close to my potential as a musician.
 
Was I an artist? Of course not! I was a piano player, one of millions. I could sing really well, but so could a million other people. Hell, a high percentage of the human population can sing a decent song. Artists? Ha!
 
Now, as a writer, I've found a community of writers. This couldn't be a better fit for me. I learned that among my peers, I'm a novice. I didn't know that. For most of my life I've been the best writer by far of anyone I knew. I was considered an artist. You see the damage that caused?
 
Now, I strive to BECOME an artist. I'm finally on the right track. I'm living in reality. I'm striving to meet the requirements of the word "artist" in its true meaning.
 
Language is a dangerous thing when disregarded. Says who? Says me. I'm the Mega Superstar Writer of the new millennium. Ask anyone who knows me.
 
 

 



Word Rescue writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
The English language seems to be ever-changing. New words appear while older words either acquire new meaning or sink into the quicksand of contemporary electronic communication. Let's take umbrage at this process and join the campaign to "Save a Word". Select an English word you feel is in danger of extinction or electronic warping from its original meaning. Argue passionately for its preservation in its pure form or as a last resort, even suggest a new meaning for it...just save it! Use it in a catchy jingle (remember those?) for FanStory or in a tome on brain surgery...but use it. Show its enduring beauty...polish it to its original luster...make us cry, laugh, rage...just Save a Word...now.

Recognized


Thanks to Spiritual Echo for invaluable assistance.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.