Romance Poetry posted April 13, 2015 Chapters:  ...212 213 -214- 215... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
An Aubade

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Cease for a Day

by Treischel



So bittersweet the morning light
That scatters dreams born in the night.
The rays that touch these eyes
Soon promise sad "goodbyes".

I must depart these silken sheets
To seek employment in the streets,
To leave the comfort of your arms,
Denied the vision of your charms.
So cruel these golden rays
That harken working days

Oh morning sun, would that you'd cease
But for a day -- just give me peace!

To be forever joined with one
Whose love shines brighter than the sun,
Then I shall gladly go
When once again you show.







Recognized


The warm silken sheets, and a lovers touch, make leaving to go out and work all day a painful moment. Tempting just to prolong it.

This poem is an Aubade.
An Aubade is a poem about parting in the morning. There is no specified format other than to convey the essence of the moment. The purpose of an Aubade is to convey the emotion of separation.

An Aubade is a morning love song (as opposed to a serenade, which is in the evening), or a song or poem about lovers separating at dawn. It has also been defined as "a song or instrumental composition concerning, accompanying, or evoking daybreak".

In the strictest sense of the term, an aubade is a song from a door or window to a sleeping woman. Aubades are generally conflated with what are strictly called albas, which are exemplified by a dialogue between parting lovers, a refrain with the word alba, and a watchman warning the lovers of the approaching dawn.

Aubades were in the repertory of troubadours in Europe in the Middle Ages. The love poetry of the 16th century dealt mostly with unsatisfied love, so the aubade was not a major genre in Elizabethan lyric.

Aubades were written from time to time into the 18th and 19th century. In the 20th century, the focus of the aubade shifted from the genre's original specialized courtly love context into the more abstract theme of a human parting at daybreak. Source: Wikipedia.

This picture of the sun rising above a sleep neighborhood was taken by the author on January 30, 2012.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.