Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted March 29, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Advantages of being an older woman.

Embracing Aging

by boxergirl


They say, "You are NOT sixty-one-years old," and I reply, "No, I'm sixty-one-years young." This is a typical conversation that takes place when I am discussing age with a new acquaintance.   Of course, I'm flattered and thankful for the compliment,  but I'm learning as my body is slowly "ripening", age is not so much how you look, but how you act. It's all about the ATTITUDE, BABY! Okay, maybe a little hair color and wrinkle-free face cream can help, but I am a true-blue believer in the power of positivity.

I am also ultra-inspired by other women who don't seem ready for the rocking chair just yet. Have you seen Meryl Streep, Diane Keaton, Sally Fields, or Diane Sawyer lately? These icons are just a few of the awesome sixty-plus chicks that are changing the face of aging. I know, they are all gorgeous, but they also all live very active and engaging lifestyles. Humor must be an important component as well.  Just look at Betty White--93 years young and still kickin' it!  Well, I know I'm  not gorgeous--no matter how many times my mother tells me I am--but I did inherit the Haynes' sense of humor, and I think it will come in pretty doggone handy as I choose to embrace the aging process and all its advantages.  


Many of you may be  a little skepitical of my concepts and are thinking, "This woman has lost her marbles." Well, some of that may be true, but even if I am a wee bit crazy, you should read on, just in case, you know, I might be on to something.

So what have I found so advantageous about aging.  First of all, when you reach that "magical number", you get to ask for Senior Citizen discounts. I was horrified when I turned fifty-five and received my first AARP card in the mail. But, as the calendar pages continued to turn,  I started to embrace my age and ask for my "special rates" in the check-out line. And make no mistake about it, you do have to ask for the discount.  Most places won't volunteer that information.

I was pleasantly surprised at how many places offered discounts to seniors; however, I have to admit some places can be a little bit stingy with their savings. Just last week I went with a friend to an afternoon matinee to see the new Cinderella movie--we're never too old to enjoy fairy tales and happy endings, are we? My younger friend bought her ticket for $7.50.  Then I proudly stepped up to buy my ticket and asked for the Senior Citizen discount. The young girl smiled and said, "Sure, that will be $7.15."  

My hearing's not what it used to be, so I said, "Excuse me. How much?"

And she gave me that blank teenage stare and said, "$7.15." 

I was stunned as I looked at the girl and then at my friend, who was trying not so hard to stifle her amusement at my grand savings of thirty-five cents. I wanted to unleash my "Maxine" persona, but I knew the ticket-taker wasn't the real culprit.  So, I just took a deep breath, gave her my best fake smile, and said, "Thanks so much, Sweetie."

Speaking of my "Maxine" persona--that is another great thing I like about the aging process.  I really don't know when it happened, but sometime during my age advancement,  it seems my whole personality changed.  I used to be this quiet co-dependent girl who just wanted everyone else to be happy.  Ha! Not any more...I have morphed into a "Maxine".  I don't think I am as "crabby" as she appears to be, but I definitely no longer have a problem speaking my mind, whether it be in a crowd of strangers or in a small gathering of my gossipy friends.  And I must say, it has been a most refreshing transition, especially when dealing with customer service reps who pretend to want to be my best friend.  

One advantage that I'm dying to experience--maybe I shouldn't use the word"dying" at my age--but you know, excited about--is that I will soon be eligible to receive Social Security.  Unlike my feeling of dread when I turned fifty-five, I am actually looking forward to being sixty-two.  Why?  The obvious reason is because it means I'm still here--alive.  But in reality, I am looking forward to finally getting back some of my hard-earned cash that I've "invested" all these years.  

Some people advise you to wait until you reach the full retirement age to collect your Social Security check, but I say, "Get it while they got it."  I never was good at math, but even I can see that the way "they" are spending more than "they" take in will be a major problem down the not-too-distant highway.  Heck, I even saw on 20/20 the other night that they are so incompetent up there, they are doling out millions of dollars to people that aren't even alive anymore!  "Oops," they say.  "We're trying to fix it," they say. So, yes, you're darn tootin' I'm going to collect it early. Besides, with my teacher retirement check plus my social security check, I'll be able to do a few more fun things while I'm still healthy enough to enjoy them.

These are just a few of the positives that  I focus on as my years continue to add up. And, since there is no magical fountain of youth, and aging is inevitable, "how" I age is really up to me.  So, no rocking chairs for me, please, and as long as my heart is able to love--as long as my face can feel the warmth of sunshine--and as long as my mind can play back memories of days gone by, I will continue to cherish that special moment every year when I get to blow out that extra candle.   As Maxine would so aptly put it, "Don't dig my grave, Honey.  'Cause I ain't dead yet!"











 



Non-Fiction Writing Contest contest entry

Recognized


"Maxine" is a crabby old lady on the Hallmark greeting cards. If you haven't met her, you surely should. She's a hoot!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. boxergirl All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
boxergirl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.