Biographical Non-Fiction posted March 25, 2015 Chapters:  ...10000 10000 -10000- 10000... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Two misplaced children, falling in love

A chapter in the book Beautiful Death

Sue loved Owen

by cbat



Background
This chapter is of unrequited love. In a home reserved for mentally challenged often physically deformed and unwanted people. I was 15 or 16. I spent just a summer or two working here.
I watched as the orderly escorted her in; she acted almost like royalty.

She was a tiny beautiful girl.
She had long curly brown hair reaching down her back. Her big brown eyes struggled to remain aloft covering her fear.
Her clothing and actions spoke of money.

Her name was Sue. She came from another home for special needs people.
It was plain this was a step down from what she was used to.

She was in her early twenties.
She had been in homes from a young age. Placed by her wealthy family.
She had epilepsy being prone to occasional seizures.

Her family embarrassed, put her in the best homes they could find, appeasing guilt with procured education and expensive clothing.
From my conversations with her later, I understood that she had never been visited by family.

This was the 60's, very little had been discovered about this illness, it was presumed to be a mental illness and meant that the person with it had diminished intelligence.

Because of unexplained seizures; we the caregivers were schooled on how to handle her if she had one. We must place a spoon between her teeth to keep her from biting her tongue. I was grate-full this never happened.

Owen had been a patient in this place for years. He was a great help with other patients, also willing to do jobs around the home, chattering constantly.

He was a lean young man with slightly thinning hair, He was not unattractive; being far more appealing than the other residents.

He was in my guessing, between 30 or 40 years old. He acted young for his age and was eager to see all he could in this restricted life.
He was inquisitive and willing to help anywhere he was allowed.
Never had he shown aggressive or violent behavior.
He was fully aware of the normal life that his condition had denied him.

From the moment he laid eyes on Sue he was besotted.

She took a little time but soon realized her power over him; using it to her advantage.
They were the only children there so naturally they turned to each other.

When I came in to work in the mornings, they were there; staring into each others eyes, doing everything together.
Owen lead Sue around showing her the best things he could about this place. Giving her the biggest piece of cake. Doing all he could to make her smile.

As we the caretakers watched this little love bloom, we were touched and wanted them to thrive, getting all the happiness they could.
They glowed, seeming to become just a set of lovers, to someone looking in.

Then we had to ask; Do we need to use caution with them?. What happens if they become sexually active?.

The overseer investigated records. Both Owen and Sue had been physically altered when younger to avoid procreation.

Why not let them have this time in love.

Then Sue told of exciting plans, Owen joined in.
They wanted more; an apartment, jobs and a normal life, getting married and leaving this place.

Soon after; I came to work one morning to find a frantic Owen. He was heartbroken and crying.

Sue had been taken by someone. Her family had found out about her and Owens plans. They have taken her away again.

Owen would never be the easy going fellow he had been, he carried his sadness for all to see.

We could only sympathize with Owen, we were helpless also.

As the years brought more knowledge of illness and causes, the barbaric treatment of people stands out.

This intelligent beautiful young girl would have gone far in the outside world. Such a shame to be held back from her destiny.




I was young myself, taking each day as it came.
So much now I see that I did not before.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. cbat All rights reserved.
cbat has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.