General Poetry posted March 23, 2015 Chapters:  ...208 209 -210- 211... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Waltz Wave Poem

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Cold Waves

by Treischel



Waves
will go
with
cold flow
that's breaking
on the
beach,
where the
ice and snow
have all piled up.
Their crystals,
sparkling,
breach
the shore
in frigid dance
within
its
bold, cold
reach.






Waves breaking on the shore of Lake Superior in March provide a cold inspiration for this poem. I missed the Waltz Wave contest, but was intriqued by a format I wasn't familiar with. So, here is my first attempt.

This poem is a Waltz Wave Poem.
A Waltz Wave requires a 19 line poem with a fixed format of syllables. The pattern is:
1212321234321232121
Words may be split by syllable to fit the pattern. There is no requirement for rhyme, but it certainly is welcome. This form seems to educe a soothing cadence, similar in aspect to the rythm of a waltz. The pattern visually evokes the image of waves breaking on a beach, when left justified. Thus the name - Waltz Wave. The theme doesn't have to be about either waves or a dance, but is perfect for such imagery. It is just suggested that the topic should be soothing.

This picture was taken by the author himself in March, 2013.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.