General Poetry posted March 21, 2015 Chapters:  ...103 104 -105- 106... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Word Sonnet

A chapter in the book Family

Sore Loser

by Treischel


I
Do
not
play
games
with
you
Do
I

So
you
wont
anger
easily







These two always fighting over toys. Here are my granddaughter, Skylah, and grandson, Isaac, playing together but seperately. Each in their own world.

This poem is a Word Sonnet.
Playing here a bit with letter count and form. Lack of punctuation intentional. The letter count is: 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 : 2,3,4,5,6


The Word Sonnet is a relatively new variation of the traditional form that was championed by Seymour Mayne, a Canadian poet who teaches at the University of Ottawa. This is Seymour Maynes's long-running project of what he calls and practices as "word sonnets." In their one-word structure there is a strong resemblance to the look and feel of Chinese poetry. These minimal forms of poetry and verbal composition go back to the 1960s. In essence, it is a fourteen line poem, with one word set for each line. Concise and usually visual in effect, this "miniature" version can contain one or more sentences, as the articulation requires.

Word Sonnets attempt to be pithy and suggestive poems in their own right. Many draw on the seasons and also aim for a compact resonance that may attract the reader to return to them again and again.

If you are interested in learning more about the style, here are two very informative links that you may want to paste into search line. The first is an overview by Seymour himself. The second is a hilarious, and very good, discertation on how to make it into a 14 Word Shakspearian Sonnet.

http://poemsand poetics.com/2014/02/seymour-mayne-hail-15-word-sonnets.html

http;//stephenfrug.blogspot.com/frank-sidwicks-fourteen-word-sonnet.html

This picture was taken by my daughter, Aisha, on her cell phone. I appreciate the use of it here.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.