Romance Poetry posted March 18, 2015 Chapters:  ...211 212 -213- 214... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Word Sonnet

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Moment

by Treischel



A
Moment
In
Time

A
Feeling
So
Sublime

I
Watched
From
Above

With
Thoughts
Of
Love

Sweet
Complete





Precious moments of love. There can never be too many.

This poem is a Word Sonnet.
I found this format while I was researching the various types of Sonnet. It intrigued me with its simplicity. Not only can you adjust from quatrains to any other layout, even just a solid free verse sentence, but a poet can experiment with syllable counts too. So I may try others. I thought I should kick off the collection in a recognizable manner.

For this poem, I tried to keep it more close to a true Sonnet format, so I gave it 4 verses of 4 lines, and included rhyme. This layout is not a requirement, and neither is the rhyme.

The Word Sonnet is a relatively new variation of the traditional form that was championed by Seymore Mayne, a Canadian poet who teaches at the University of Ottawa. In essence, it is a fourteen line poem, with one word set for each line. Concise and usually visual in effect, this "miniature" version can contain one or more sentences, as the articulation requires.

Word Sonnets attempt to be pithy and suggestive poems in their own right. Many draw on the seasons and also aim for a compact resonance that may attract the reader to return to them again and again.

This photograph is one of the author's.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.