Letters and Diary Poetry posted January 27, 2015 Chapters:  ...196 197 -198- 199... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Paradelle

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Moving Steps

by Treischel



Shopping at the mall,
Shopping at the mall,
Moving steps take me up,
Moving steps take me up.
When I go shopping at the mall, you see,
The moving steps take me up to floor three.

But, then when I'm done,
But, then when I'm done,
They take me down,
They take me down.
But then, when I am done, these stairs
They take me down to lower thoroughfares.

I may go up and down,
I may go up and down.
I could shop all day!
I could shop all day!
Then I could shop all day, oh my,
And go up and down like a butterfly.

When I go shopping at the mall, you see,
The moving steps take me up to floor three.
But then, when I am done, these stairs
They take me down to lower thoroughfares.
Then I could shop all day, oh my,
And go up and down like a butterfly.






This picture is of one of the escalators at the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota, a suburb of Minneapolis. The Mall has 4 levels, but this shot was taken from the 3rd floor. You literally can shop there all day. The many escalators and elevators allow you to travel up and down with ease.

This poem is a Paradelle. This format takes a bit of warming up to. At first I didn't like it, because I thought all that repetition was rediculous. I a way, it is. But, once you get over that, you see how the building blocks are slowly assembled to finally resonate in the concluding crescendo. So you finally get it. I'm sure it takes at least a second reading.

A Paradelle is a French repeating form of poetry. It is considered difficult to write. It is comprised of 4 stanzas of six lines each (Sestets). The format is as follows:

In Stanza 1, 2 and 3 - line 1 and 2 are identical, as are line 3 and 4 identical, but lines 5 and 6 are a saying made up of the words in lines 1 through 4.

Stanza 4 - Uses all the words in lines 5 and 6 from stanza 1,2,3 to make a full saying to sum up the poem in the last 6 lines.

This photograph was taken by the author on February 25, 2014 at the Mall.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.