General Fiction posted January 10, 2015 Chapters:  ...62 63 -64- 65 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Weddings are planned and adoption occurs.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Families Being Formed

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates live several lifetimes, each life is separate from any other and there is no awareness that they are connected. The draw to each other is always there in spite of often difficult times.
Previously, Julia and Valerius both had new sores appear indicating that the red plague had returned. In spite of being sick, Valerius went to greet the contingent of bishops and soldiers hunting for the possesed children and Julia. Cicero stood by his side. The Oracle came out to confront the Bishops and it turned out he was The Cardinal Agapito for the parish. The bishops listened to what he had to say and showed him great respect. Leopold went screaming into the forest and was killed, it was assumed, by a pack of wolves. According to the soldiers who found his body, there was nothing left but bones. We continue now as treatment continues and plans are made.




After a few hour's rest, both Julia and Valerius regained some strength. Their sores had increased even as old sores scabbed over and healed. Valerius knew full well the dire nature of their condition and Julia did as well. Winston succumbed rapidly. His will to live for his son did not match his grief for his wife and daughter. Grenadier recovered into a world without parents or family. Lourdes and Cassius required no discussion when it came to including him in theirs.
 
Florentina looked to her mother upon Winston's death and said, "Grenadier is my brother now, isn't he mother?"
 
Knowing without any doubt the heart of Cassius, she answered simply, "Yes, he is."
 
When the time came to inquire of Cassius, the question never came up. "Keep an eye on your brother, dear. There is no telling the mischief he might get into." That is what he said to Florentina when he came upon them playing.
 
Lourdes took him aside. "I am no longer a threat to others. Your sister and Valerius, I'm afraid, are a threat. It is unlikely they will recover, my love. I am sorry to tell you this. Julia wants us to get married together in the forest if you agree. The Oracle … The Cardinal Agapito is pleased to hold the services. It is safe outside if we keep our distance. I told them you agreed."
 
Cassius smiled. "It will be a day of celebration. I know Julia will hear of nothing else."
 
Inside the shelter, healing continued for some, even as Julia and Valerius fought to recover. Cicero had no re-occurrence of the spots and busied himself treating the others, offering prayers and comfort wherever it seemed needed.
 
Julia motioned him over.
 
Cicero lowered his head and rushed to her side. "Yes, anything I can do for you. I am still shamed by my misguided allegiance with Rastavius and Leopold. I fear I will never redeem myself."
 
Julia sat up and leaned against the wall. She smiled and put her hand on Cicero's shoulder. "Are you truly unaware of forgiveness? I would think a priest would have some understanding of the doctrine."
 
Cicero smiled somewhat childlike and looked down. "Yes, well, the concept is familiar, but…."
 
"Are you familiar with the story of Caiaphas?"
 
"Caiaphas, the Pharisee? Yes, indeed. His actions set in motion the murder of our savior. He is one of the most…."
 
"Yes, yes, I am aware he is not a popular figure. Yet, Jesus forgave him, didn't he?"
 
"Well, yes, I suppose. Jesus forgave, forgives all mankind. But…."
 
"Let me tell you the story of Caiaphas."
 
"Of course, I do know his story. He betrayed our Lord with a mockery of a trial and handed him over to Pilate who…."
 
"That is not the whole story, my friend. Yes, we know of the events you speak of. But, we don't know the man or the soul residing in the man, do we? What if I were to tell you he had walked the Earth before being Caiaphas, and, indeed, had walked the Earth more than once since? What if when God when faced with what to do with the soul of Caiaphas, decided to show him mercy? Perhaps, he gave him another chance and another lifetime to learn what he did not learn in his life as Caiaphas. Maybe he didn't learn it the second time, or the third."
 
"I would think a soul so besmirched would never find redemption. To betray the Savior of all mankind is egregious to say the least."
 
"Is it more egregious then it would be to betray any common man? What would Jesus offer as an answer? What if Caiaphas returned to Earth once more as a common man, trying his best to live a good life? Perhaps he was led astray once again. Maybe the road he always seemed to take was somehow unavoidable to him. How heartbreaking to think of it, lifetime after lifetime. What if one day, even as he traveled that familiar road to damnation, he dropped to his knees and cried out, I am on the wrong road. I see it now. I am weak and burdened with sorrow. Won't anyone please take my hand and pull me up that I may finally walk the right path? Would you not extend your hand to Caiaphas?"
 
Cicero smiled. "Yes, I would extend both hands. It is said you see what others do not see. You see lives that have been lived. Are you saying I was once Caiaphas?"
 
Julia laughed softly. "I am simply telling you a story. But, suppose you were once Caiaphas and I, Nicodemus. Would it not please the Lord we are now friends and allies?"
 
"Indeed, indeed, it would. You are very wise, my friend. Now, lie down so I may tend to you. It is you who need attention, I am well now." Cicero smiled as he applied cold rags to her forehead.
 
Valerius came over with his bedding and laid down next to Julia. "How is my wife to be doing, Cicero?"
 
"She is tending to my well-being quite nicely. I am doing my best to comfort her with these rags. I'm not sure the exchange is a fair one."
 
Valerius smiled. "She is good for one's well-being, I can attest to that. Keep up the good work. She has a wedding to attend."
 
Cicero could see spots on his neck and arms that were fresh. It grieved him to see these two fine young people struck down so. He maintained as festive a front as he was able. He excused himself as the weight of his sadness threatened to shatter his smile. His pleadings to the Lord continued in earnest.
 

~~~~~~~~Trellitia's house
 

Abramus would not be soothed. "But surely there is something in all of these potions and concoctions that can help them. They are children for God's sake. Their lives are just beginning." Tears could not be stopped even with all of his will brought to bear on them.
 
Trellitia knew of tears and had run out of them long ago. The ache that caused them filled her heart. She knew Valerius had saved her life. She didn't question it. The day he came up her pathway filled with questions was the day she began to live again. The spirit of her husband had haunted her for years almost causing her to hate him. It seemed to hover around her admonishing her for doing nothing but mourn his passing. The truth of it ate away at her.

Valerius gave her purpose and a life she could be proud of. She could feel the pleasure of her husband's spirit as she trained her new apprentice. Now he stood at death's door and she was helpless.
 
"Trellitia, is there nothing you can do?" Abramus knew the answer, but his pain needed companionship.
 
Trellitia took his hand. "There is nothing. I'm sorry." There weren't even words she could offer. Recovery from a reinfection was unheard of. Even with the relentless attention and care they received, it was a matter of days before they would be gone.
 
Cassius had become a young man in the past few weeks. He spoke to them both. "They wish to be married along with Lourdes and myself. We are taking Grenadier as our son. You know their wishes; I don't have to explain them. I have always believed in my sister and I believe in her now. It will be a festive occasion. It will be a celebration of life and a time for joy. It is their wish."
 
The others in the room gathered together and all agreed. Whatever tears there were to shed, would be shed now. The wedding would be joyous and grief would be saved for another day.



 




This is in the end stages of this section. Bear with me as I close this out. I have some things in mind and I must write them. I hope they are to your liking. This section will conclude book 1. I'm not sure yet if there will be two books or three. The story ends in the current century. There are many lifetimes in between. There are lifetimes lived separately as well. I know where I want to end up, but I'm not sure how I want to get there or how long I want to take. I had no idea that this chapter would end up being this length. Oh well, I loved writing this. Your help has been amazing. Wonderful feedback all the way through that helped the story and me as a writer. Thank you all very much.
For anyone late to the game. This is the story of two souls who are drawn to each other. They are soul mates. They keep running into each other in various lifetimes. In spite of tremendous obstacles they are drawn to each other. As humans, they are unaware of any previous existence or life beyond the one they are currently living. In the current story, one of the souls has visions of previous lives. She doesn't know exactly what they are, but she comes to understand that there is an existence beyond the life she is living now.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.