General Fiction posted January 7, 2015 Chapters:  ...61 62 -63- 64... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Leopold is still accusing. The plague is still strong.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Leopold Seeks Justice, More Plague

by michaelcahill


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other
Previously, treatment continued in earnest for the victims of the red plague. Some recovered or showed signs of recovery. They disease took its toll however, and two of Winston's family passed away, his daughter and wife. His son, in spite of an increase in seizures did recover to everyone's surprise. While all of this was going on, Cassius burst into the shelter and announced soldiers making their way down the path. They were accompanying Bishops in a carriage. To everyone's shock, Leopold was with them. Everyone thought he was dead and it was stunning news to find him alive and still on his quest. We continue now as Leopold and his entourage arive to confront Valerius and Cicero who have stepped outside to greet them. The air is filled with the sound of wolves howling and great beasts roaring. It is terrifying and everyone is taken aback by it.


"Demons! I call you out! I am blind, yet I am the only one who sees." The young priest who had tended to Leopold now let him wander around ranting unattended. The young priest stood frozen in fear. Leopold continued with his admonitions. "The hounds of hell howl in the forest, and you stand there awaiting their attack. What other creatures have been summoned from the bowels of hell to torment us? Bring Satan's spawn at once, that we may deal with them swiftly."
 
The Bishop who had been watching Leopold in bewilderment, now bowed his head, "Cardinal Agapito, you were thought lost."
 
The Bishop addressed the Oracle, who walked with authority upon the scene. "Silence, you fool!" The Oracle stood before Leopold. "It is you who calls upon demons. It is you who brings the hatred of the Evil One into our midst. It is your weakness and failure to atone, which opens the fiery doors of brimstone and beckons the beast to join us. To your knees in atonement for your damnation comes right quick."
 
Valerius looked upon the Oracle in stunned silence. Cardinal Agapito? Agapito, yes that is the name I recall you giving us. But, a cardinal. How have you come to be…? "Oracle, you are the Cardinal of this Parish?"
 
"Indeed, my friend, that I am. I deemed the creatures of the forest a better audience than the fools who understood the word not. Here I have been for three years. The time has come for me to return." He turned towards the soldiers. "Detain this fool for his own good." Cardinal Agapito, though dressed in peasants clothing, commanded instant obedience from all assembled. They moved to subdue Leopold.
 
Leopold would have none of it. In spite of his blindness, he ran into the forest screaming, "In the name of the Almighty, I rebuke thee and cast you from the forest."
 
The Bishop nodded to the commander of the soldiers who gave orders to retrieve Leopold.
 
A scream flew from the forest as though propelled by a ferocious storm. It pierced the ears of all who took it in. The whimpers that followed told their tale, and all were grateful for the silence following close behind. Two soldiers went to confirm what everyone already knew, Leopold certainly had died horrifically.
 
A nod from the returning soldiers confirmed it. Cardinal Agapito spoke, "Father, our fallen brother, Leopold, served you faithfully the better part of his life. Forgive his rash recent actions. The Evil One is powerful and takes a strong foothold. Please take our brother in to your Kingdom with your mercy beyond our understanding. Heal him with the love your own son has already shown him on the cross. All to Your glory, Father."
 
All who heard the Cardinal's prayer softly said, "Amen".
 
Cicero dropped to his knees weeping. "Cardinal, I am unworthy to wear these vestments. I am no more than Leopold, who disgraced our church so. I, too, hunted demons, deluded by power and the words of evil spewed by one I never should have trusted. This man who saved my life did so after I hunted him as a heretic. It is I who am the heretic."
 
Cardinal Agapito tapped Cicero on the shoulder, "We believe, my friend, in redemption. We rejoice in it. It is the one sheep, who returns to the flock, who all will sacrifice everything to secure. Who could understand this better now than you. You stood against all odds with your friend in the name of righteousness. Your vestments become you, Cicero. I am proud to count you among my fellows."
 
Julia walked wearily out to Valerius. Her eyes looked to nothing else. Valerius turned knowing she approached. His joy could not be expressed with a mere smile. She felt the mood surrounding them and realized danger no longer factored in as a component. She embraced him and they stood there in embrace, shutting out all around them.
 
"I have new sores. The weakness and fever have returned. I fear I have not overcome this illness yet." Julia looked into the eyes of Valerius without fear. She had learned enough about the red plague to know this did not bode as good news.
 
"I must get you inside and resume treatment at once. This can happen. What worked once, will work again." He said the words, but he had difficulty believing them. He walked unsteadily as he took her to the shelter.
 
Trellitia had come outside and arranged for treatment of the soldiers who displayed the spots. One of the Bishops and the young priest who had tended to Leopold had the spots as well. It seems the doctor who examined them was not as thorough as first thought. Trellitia watched as Julia and Valerius made their way up the path to the shelter. She sighed and shook her head. She had no time for tears.
 
Valerius came in to find Winston on the floor with Lourdes hovering over him.
 
"What's his condition?" Valerius barely looked in his direction as though he spoke out of obligation.
 
Lourdes spoke, "The spots have returned worse than before. The fever too. His breathing is labored. His son continues to improve though."
 
Valerius looked around the room. He found Julia's bed and placed her in it. Lourdes brought him wet rags and ointment, which he applied immediately. "Keep these coming. These wounds must be kept spotless and her fever must be kept under control."
 
Lourdes nodded and continued with her tasks. A tear fell from her eye unseen by Valerius.
 
Julia reached up weakly and tugged at the shirt Valerius wore. She pulled it up to see his back. His sores had returned too. "It seems we have a similar fate, my love. Then we will find out together what lies in store for us." She grabbed his hand and pulled him closer. "There is more than this. I know it and you can surely see it."
 
Valerius squeezed her hand. "I like it right where I am, my darling. You underestimate my skills as a physician. According to you, I've been practicing for thousands of years. I must have some tricks up my sleeve." He kissed her hand and placed it on her chest. He started to fall backwards, but righted himself.
 
Lourdes walked up and took him by the arm. "You must lie down yourself. You need treatment just as much as she does. I know what to do. You've taught me well. Rest is important. Rest and sleep, those are your instructions."
 
Valerius began to protest, but the strength to do so eluded him. Lourdes escorted him to his bed. She felt his forehead and sighed while applying a cool rag to it. She slathered copious quantities of his special poultice on the wounds, old as well as new.



 




Sorry for the sparseness or posting. I'm buried in reviews. Everyone's posting like it's going out of style. Hard to keep up. Hopefully it will die down soon. Looks like this section will wrap up soon. Always open to suggestions of any kind. Should I make this book one and conclude with this story? Or, just keep going forward regardless of the length? I didn't realize I'd fall so madly in love with 500 AD. :))

The Red Plague is small pox. There were many strains some more deadly than others. The best treatment was cleanliness to avoid infection and fluid intake to avoid dehydration. These methods were ancient in nature and as the Dark Ages approached falling out of favor. Treatments for all ailments would become more and more dependent on prayer and practices with no medicinal value.

There is an end to this section coming soon. Two or three segments at the most. (I hope) I love the input and suggestions and help you all have been giving me as well. Thank you so very much!

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.

The Oracle- A strange man that Julia and the others meet in the forest and invite to join them.

Father Cicero-A priest from a nearby village that had been performing prayer and other rites on Grenadier to drive out the demon he believes the child has inside him. He is searching for Winslow and his family.

Father Travis-Valerius travels to treat him and finds him to be at odds with Father Cicero over demon possesion.

he story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.