Self Improvement Non-Fiction posted January 5, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
something to think about 350 words

Isn't Today Special?

by dejohnsrld (Debbie)


 
Last night as I stood at the sink brushing my teeth, I could see my old, worn nightgown in the mirror while my good silk ones remained neatly folded in a dresser drawer.
 
Next, I reached for my cheap body spray. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of my good perfume (which means expensive) that I used to wear when I was able to work.
 
On impulse, I grabbed the expensive perfume and sprayed it on. The familiar smell brought back memories of better times when I had places to go and people to see. Days that were ‘special’.
 
I thought about those ‘special’ days and how many I probably have left to live. Probably not many as I spend most days at home alone and, I confess, often change from one worn nightgown to another thus eliminating the need for clothes. It’s not that I don’t have clothes. In fact, I have a walk-in closet full of dressy clothes which I never wear because I’m saving them for a ‘special’ day.
 
I have jewelry too, tons of it, which I rarely wear as never does anything ‘special’ enough come along to warrant wearing the ‘good’ pieces.
 
I could leave behind silk nightgowns, dressy clothes, a bottle of expensive perfume, and a heap of jewelry when I pass away. I’m sure my relatives will marvel at that inheritance as they search for the nearest Goodwill to donate them to, or perhaps a nearby dumpster, whichever is closer.
 
After some pondering about what makes a day ’special’, I came to the conclusion that there are no ‘special’ days, just days we make special. This means that any day we decide on can be a special day if we choose to make it so.
 
So I added an additional New Year’s resolution to make my days special, wear my good clothes, jewelry, and perfume, and therefore deprive my relatives of this abundant inheritance, or more likely the task of disposing of my possessions.
 
Special is a state of mind, not something conferred on you by the ancient gods, so use it, wear it, and enjoy it while you can… and leave the worn nightgowns and cheap body spray for your family.

 



Recognized


In the UK a goodwill store is called a charity shop and a dumpster is a skip.

I am still looking for poems about disability for an anthology. Please all you talented writers send me some at disabilityanthology@gmail.com

Food for thought

and of course my self-portrait, ha ha ha
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. dejohnsrld (Debbie) All rights reserved.
dejohnsrld (Debbie) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.