General Fiction posted December 22, 2014 Chapters:  ...59 60 -61- 62... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The plague takes its toll, a surprise visitor.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

The Red Plague Takes Its Toll

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other
Previously, Treatment began on those who had the red spots. A group went into the village to assess the towns folk. Those at the shelter are found to be in worse shape than imagined. The spots are mainly on the torso and revealed when the upper garments are removed. Grenadier is coverend in red spots oozing liquid from their centers. Cicero is also in bad shape and his treatment begins. He is still adamant that Julia, Florentina and Grenadier are demon possessed. In spite of his accusations and threats, Valerius and the others treat him. We continue now as exhaustive round the clock treatment continues. A report from town arrives. 






~~~~~~~~Treatment continues
 
 
The expected influx from town didn't materialize. Father Travis arrived first. He had accompanied Abramus and the others to town to help inspect the villagers. He turned out to be the most urgently in need of care.
 
Father Travis reported to Valerius, "The others are without marks, save for myself. Abramus, Petrus, and Cassius are at Trellitia's. They would not be dissuaded. They offer their services. I offer mine as…." Father Travis slumped to the floor. Lourdes and Trellitia rushed to his aid and assisted him to a makeshift bed on the floor.
 
Valerius, Lourdes and Trellitia moved from person to person treating the sores and encouraging the intake of water as instructed by Valerius.
 
He stopped to check on Julia. "You must drink water, Julia."
 
"I have drank more than I wish to for a lifetime." She smiled weakly at his disapproving look. "Very well, I think you enjoy having me at a disadvantage."
 
Valerius couldn't manage even a slight smile. He inspected her sores. "These are advanced. The evening will find you improving, but you must replenish your fluids."
 
"I'll be fine. I feel the strength returning to me. You are a fine physician, my love. You heal with your heart." She admonished him with her eyes to move along to the next patient.
 
Grenadier fidgeted. He had only hours before been near lifeless. Now he resisted care and being confined to bed. "I am better, truly I am. Can't I at least walk around the room a bit? I could fetch water. I could help. Mother will tell you, I'm a big help to her in the kitchen. Aren't I mother?"
 
Adeline gave no response. She lay motionless on the floor and her breathing came in gasps. Lourdes held her head attempting to administer small amounts of water to her. She patted her head with a cool cloth.
 
Cicero looked up with large eyes at Valerius who loomed above him. "You! I am captive? The soldiers defeated by the demon's chicanery?" He attempted to rise and Valerius easily prevented him.
 
"It is the red plague. You are ill, Cicero. It has been suggested I leave you to die for your evil transgressions. I have chosen to tender my skills to you as is my oath. May it remind you of your own oath." Valerius did not look with kindness upon him, nor did he regard him with contempt.
 
"The spots are on you as well." Cicero looked around. "All of these, afflicted as well?"
 
"Indeed. All are infected. It occurs to me it comes from your village. All from your village bear the marks and all who have interacted with them are infected as well. I fear for your village."
 
"Yes. There was illness in the village. The demon boy brought it upon us. A plague of the Evil One. Father Travis will tell you. A demon I tell … the boy is here among us! You have brought him in our midst. The two demon girls as well. Fool! Slay them now whilst they are weak. You strengthen them for their evil purpose. Have you no sense, lad?" Cicero fell back mumbling in delirium.
 
Valerius tended to his sores shaking his head in amazement. He is without sense. Perhaps there are demons. If so, they reside right here within this troubled soul.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~Two days later
 
 
Valerius finally collapsed having gone without rest for two days. Trellitia had been treating his wounds in spite of his protestations. He had shown improvement and some recovery could be seen in the spots. He simply could go no longer without sleep. Julia had rallied considerably. Her wounds had scabbed over now and her fever had abated. She assisted Trellitia and Lourdes, who had slept for a few hours in the evening.
 
The sound of digging chilled those still alive inside the shelter. Death had made its inevitable visit. Winston had passed the point of being inconsolable. He sat motionless with no expression. Only Grenadier remained of his family.
 
Valerius, Florentina, Cicero and Grenadier were not out of the woods, though they seemed to all be responding to treatment and improving over the last day. Grenadier had shown remarkable resiliency considering the increase in his seizures. With every seizure came the expectation of death. It also brought the cries of Cicero expecting the sudden arrival of Satan to do him in on his sick bed.
 
Cicero now looked up to see Julia kneeling by his side applying medicine to his sores. "It surprises me to say the least to find you tending to me. I would have you before the council for cleansing."
 
"Yes, me, the little girl, the young man who fights for his life, even the priest who mentored you in the ways of the Lord. Do you feel you have learned well what you have been taught? Is your heart pure and receptive to teaching? I have read where Jesus spoke of a man pure enough to cast the first stone at a sinful woman. Are you such a man? Or are you a lowly sinner like those you accuse?"
 
"Perhaps I am lower. A seat on the council in Constantinople held great appeal to me. Well, as I face death in the presence of the demons I seek to cleanse, I find I am the demon and they the saints doing the work of the Lord by deed. My words, loud and clumsy, are naught but a racket to toss into a roaring river. Rastavius saw the weakness in me and found a ready ally as he did in Leopold. Travis tried to speak sense to me, but I was filled with myself."
 
"To learn is to find wisdom to teach. It is all gain if you pass on what you have learned. Now, I must tend to the others. You seem on the road to recovery. Your sores close now. It is the sign of recovery."
 
Cicero clasped her wrist gently. "Thank you child … for all you have done."
 
Grenadier began to seize again. Julia rushed to his side. Trellitia beat her there and greeted her. "Perhaps the fever causes the shaking and contortions to increase. Look though, the sores improve". She pulled the blanket back and Julia observed that several sores had scabbed over.
 
Julia pulled the blanket back over him and held his arm to prevent it from striking the floor. His seizure stopped and he mumbled words she didn't understand. She responded nonetheless, "You're okay now. Just a convulsion as you have had before. You are improving. I think you will recover fully."
 
His eyes regained focus. "Mother?"
 
Julia didn't hesitate. "She's gone, Grenadier. Your sister, Noreen as well. Your father has survived. It is just the two of you now. He is distraught. You must be strong for him. Do you understand?"
 
He shook his head solemnly. "Yes, I must think of him now. It is always me that is being considered and looked after. It is my turn to be the one who does the looking after."
 
Julia squeezed his hand. "We will all look out for each other. We are all like family now."
 
Julia smiled as Trellitia grabbed his hand. Julia moved on to Valerius. As she knelt by him, the door burst open. It was her brother, Cassius. She admonished him, "Brother, it is not safe for you here. I have told you before…."
 
Cassius cut her off. "It is safe for no one. Soldiers advance from down the road. A carriage with priests from the big city comes with them. Leopold rides aboard."
 
It was rare for Cassius to see a look of surprise cross the face of Julia.
 
Valerius jumped up from his bed on the floor. He staggered momentarily before righting himself. "I thought he was dead!"



 





The Red Plague is small pox. There were many strains some more deadly than others. The best treatment was cleanliness to avoid infection and fluid intake to avoid dehydration. These methods were ancient in nature and as the Dark Ages approached falling out of favor. Treatments for all ailments would become more and more dependent on prayer and practices with no medicinal value.

There is an end to this section coming soon. Two or three segments at the most. (I hope) I love the input and suggestions and help you all have been giving me as well. Thank you so very much!

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.

The Oracle- A strange man that Julia and the others meet in the forest and invite to join them.

Father Cicero-A priest from a nearby village that had been performing prayer and other rites on Grenadier to drive out the demon he believes the child has inside him. He is searching for Winslow and his family.

Father Travis-Valerius travels to treat him and finds him to be at odds with Father Cicero over demon possesion.

he story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.