General Fiction posted December 18, 2014 Chapters:  ...58 59 -60- 61... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The red plague strikes. Treatment begins.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

The Red Plague

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other
Previously, The various forces came together and a battle broke out. It didn't bode well for the villagers who were no match for the soldiers in battle. Valerius used the horn to sound a distress call to the soldiers. The soldiers thinking their fellow brother's in arms needed their help, abandoned the battle. The enjoyment of their good fortune was short-lived as Julia and Valerius both discoverd they had the Red Plague. Cicero had it as well. At the shelter, Trellitia already gathered items to treat the children who had the plague as well. We continue now as Valerius and Julia reunite with the villagers on the battlefield.






~~~~~~~~~The battlefield
 

Petrus dismounted and reached out to his son to embrace him.
 
Valerius stepped back. "No, Father. You mustn't touch us. We carry the red plague. We must get to Trellitia's and begin treatment. There are no doubt others afflicted."
 
Valerius ran up to the others. "Check your bodies now for red sores. Check carefully. It is the red plague. It is deadly if not treated. Go to the village and check your loved ones. Those that are infected are to go to Trellitia's home. There can be no exceptions. All who have the red spots must go. We need a horse. We must get there quickly. Are any of you infected?"
 
All shook their head in the negative.
 
Abramus called out, "Cicero! Cicero is infected. He has the spots and lies here unconscious. What shall we do with him?"
 
Julia spoke softly, "Mount him to a horse and we will take him with us. No, wait. We will mount him. He is a danger to you. We are already infected."
 
Abramus began to protest, but Julia silenced him with an upraised hand.
 
Valerius spoke again, "Remember, ALL with the spots must come. Touch no one with the spots. Do not come to check on your loved ones. You must wait until the disease passes. The whole of the village is at stake. Now, get to it."
 
Valerius and Julia rode tandem and pulled Cicero who moaned on a mount behind them. The others made their way back to town. All were grim and set to the task at hand.
 
 
~~~~~~~The shelter
 
 
Lourdes looked out the window anxiously, "She comes."
 
Trellitia hurried up the overgrown path to the stone house concealed by overgrowth. She rushed in the already open door. "Add wood to the fire. Mine is extinguished. Besides, if they are inclined to search my backyard we will be discovered anyway. They have every reason now to remain at bay. What is everyone's condition? Who is exhibiting the spots?"
 
Lourdes spoke breathlessly, "The children are all afflicted. Grenadier is weakened and lays covered over there." She pointed to a bed in the corner. "The other children have spots yet exhibit no ill effects."
 
Trellitia spoke pointedly, "And the rest of you?"
 
Lourdes looked around. Adeline spoke, "We, I … I don't believe we have paused to examine ourselves."
 
Trellitia looked to Lourdes. "Begin with yourself. We need to know who has spots and how many. I have had the red spots in the past long ago. I'm unlikely to get them again. Inspect yourself and the others. I will tend to Grenadier to begin with."
 
She approached the boy and inspected his sores. "His stage is advanced. I must begin treatment immediately. Hurry with your inspection. Treatment cannot be delayed." She removed his shirt and applied a clear thin ointment to the sores, which covered his torso, neck and part of his face. Adeline gasped at the sight of her son. Trellitia admonished her with a stern glance. "We've no time for that. The sores are not pretty and they are plentiful. They must be kept from festering; therein lies the greatest danger. I have no time to be warm. There is no time for grief. There is only the battle of treatment. Mothers who have no sores do not touch children who do. Are you understanding me?"
 
Lourdes and Adeline looked stunned and had no answer.
 
Trellitia turned and faced them, getting eye contact with each one at a time. "Are you both understanding me?"
 
"Yes", they answered together and returned to their tasks.
 
Only two or three minutes passed and Lourdes spoke, "Florentina and Noreen have the spots, Noreen nearly as bad as Grenadier. Adeline has some. I have none."
 
"Now, you will learn the meaning of being a doctor's apprentice. Your oath is of like nature. I would send you away were you not an assistant to Valerius. Of course, you wouldn't leave with your daughter afflicted. Well, no matter. Prepare bedding for the children and Adeline."
 
Adeline protested, "I'm not feeling ill. I wish to assist with the care of my children."
 
Trellitia spared nothing in her tone. "You will do as you're told. You are every bit as ill as they. You are my patient and will do as I say. I've no time for anything else. Your children are getting the best possible care, better perhaps then they would receive in Constantinople."
 
Adeline understood Trellitia's position and made no further protestations. Lourdes assisted her onto a makeshift bed on the floor. She applied the clear poultice given to her by Trellitia. Lourdes winced as Adeline moaned in pain at its application.
 
"Pay the pain no mind. There's no time to quarter sympathy. The sores must be treated and kept clean. The pain is preferable to the alternative."
 
No one asked what the alternative might be; it needn't be spoken.
 
The knock on the door startled everyone equally. The desire to hide struck them and the foolishness of such a notion occurred in almost the same instant.
 
Trellitia rushed to the door. She blocked the passage as the Oracle and Winston attempted entry. "The plague is here. You may not enter. You must be inspected for signs. Wait at my house and I will tend to you shortly."
 
Winston bristled. "We have come under the impression we may be needed. My family is inside there and…."
 
"I will tend to your family. To my house now. I've no time for pleasantries or explanations. Your family is my concern as well. Now, do as I say so I may return to care for your wife and children."
 
Winston offered no rebuttal and left with the Oracle as Trellitia instructed.
 
Before they walked two steps, Trellitia called out, "Wait. There is a task you can assist me with. Others will arrive. Organize them at my house. Do not touch anyone. Instruct them to wait. Examine yourselves for red sores on your bodies around the chest and stomach. It is the red plague. I will be there to assess everyone soon."
 
They said nothing and proceeded to her house as instructed. Both rubbed their stomachs as they walked.
 
Moments after they went inside her house, there was a knock on the door.
 
"Valerius, I am needless to say surprised." Winston smiled for a moment and then became serious again. "The Red Plague has come to us. We are instructed to…. well, you are the doctor. I expect you are needed at the shelter."
 
"Are you infected? The Oracle?" Valerius proceeded to lift their shirts one at a time and inspect their torsos. You come with me, Winston." He looked at the Oracle. "I assume Trellitia has enlisted you to direct others to wait here, is that correct?"
 
"Exactly, yes."
 
"Very well. You are not infected. Do not touch anyone for any reason. simply have them wait." Valerius didn't wait for an answer. He, Julia, Winston and the barely conscious Cicero went to the shelter.
 
Trellitia came out to greet them. "As I live and breathe. I must admonish you; the Red Plague is inside. I have the treatment well in hand. Perhaps you should wait. I've no need for assistance as of yet. Lourdes is more than adequate. She does quite well."
 
Julia greeted her with a quick nod. "I'm afraid we are well aware of the plague. We are carriers, us and Cicero, who lies in a bad state on the horse we lead behind us. Winston here as well, is afflicted. Valerius examined the Oracle and he is free of the marks."
 
Trellitia looked saddened momentarily, but returned to her stoic persona almost as quickly. "Inside then, all of you. Are you certain you wish to treat the very man who has been the source of so much anguish?"
 
Valerius smiled, "Oh yes, I'm a believer in what he only professes to believe. I will indeed treat him to the limits of my skill. Let him find the demon's hand in that."

 


 




There is an end to this section coming soon. Two or three segments at the most. (I hope) I love the input and suggestions and help you all have been giving me as well. Thank you so very much!

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.

The Oracle- A strange man that Julia and the others meet in the forest and invite to join them.

Father Cicero-A priest from a nearby village that had been performing prayer and other rites on Grenadier to drive out the demon he believes the child has inside him. He is searching for Winslow and his family.

Father Travis-Valerius travels to treat him and finds him to be at odds with Father Cicero over demon possesion.

he story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.