General Fiction posted December 16, 2014 Chapters:  ...57 58 -59- 60... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
It is clear that the red plague has arrived.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Disease and Deception

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other
Previously, Julia explained her visions and knowledge of past lives to Valerius. Their love for each other could not be contained and it helped Valerius understand to a degree much of what Julia tried to explain. Several people discovered red spots on their bodies including Valerius and Julia. Valerius and Trellitia both feared it may be a deadly, contagious disease. Cicero showed signs of having the disease as well. We continue now as we find Cassius, the Oracle and Winston searching for Valerius and Julia, hoping to find them before Cicero does.



~~~~~~~~Cassius, the Oracle and Winston

 
The three of them stopped in their tracks. A wolf blocked their path. It made no threatening move, nor did it show signs of retreat. It stood and stared.
 
The Oracle spoke. "I believe I know this fellow. Let me speak to him."
 
Cassius looked at the Oracle. "Know this fellow? Speak to him? What in creation are you speaking of? You expect this wolf to speak to you? I suggest we remain here with ours eyes open. They hunt in packs. They are not usually a danger, but hunger turns a desperate twist to things. Let's not show weakness. We'll be fine. The three of us are too much even for a pack."
 
"No, no, you don't understand. This is the fellow who led me to the shelter. He is an emissary, well, of sorts. I believe we should pay him mind."
 
The wolf looked warily at Cassius. He walked slowly in the direction the three of them had just come from. He glanced quickly at the Oracle, but only for a moment. He seemed keenly aware that Cassius held ill will towards him.
 
The Oracle spoke again. "We should follow him. He brings us this message from a source beyond our normal realm. God, a spirit, I don't know … we should follow as I did before. He led me to safety."
 
Cassius bristled. "My sister is out there being pursued by a Crazed Priest and a contingent of soldiers. I am loathe to abandon them. We must go forward and seek them out. I have no doubt you believe this wolf to be your friend and guide, but I don't have the same confidence in him. I am, however, fairly certain his teeth are sharp and his pack is nearby watching with great interest."
 
The wolf took his eyes now off Cassius. He looked to the Oracle, much as he had before. He walked a few steps, stopped and looked back over his shoulder as if beckoning. The Oracle took a couple steps in his direction.
 
Cassius reached out to stop him. "What would you have us do? Follow this wolf into the forest? To where?"
 
"We must go back. We are needed at the shelter. That must be it. I tell you, this is a sign. We must return. There is danger. Please, Cassius, I am not some fool. I know whereof I speak."
 
Winston had remained silent up unto this point. "If the shelter has been discovered, they will be defenseless. I must return. I cannot take the risk. Cassius, you must understand that as you seek your sister's safety, so do I seek the same for my family."
 
Cassius sighed. "Very well, I do understand what you tell me, Winston. Perhaps the Oracle is in tune with something. I can't be tasked now to consider it. The two of you follow what you feel is the correct path. My path is forward. Be careful."
 
Cassius turned after looking for a moment at the wolf. The wolf looked away as if to show disinterest. Cassius continued his journey in search of his sister. The Oracle and Winston headed back towards the shelter. The wolf was nowhere to be seen.
 

~~~~~~~Julia and Valerius in the forest.
 

"These spots are a plague, Valerius. Am I not correct?"
 
"I fear you may be correct. They must be treated quickly if there is to be a chance for survival. It is a deadly affliction." Valerius rummaged through his bag exhibiting some frustration. We must hurry back now. Don't scratch. Don't touch anyone. Well, you can touch me." He smiled. Just as quickly, he grew serious. "It is the Red Plague. It can be treated, but it must be tended to with diligence. I have a responsibility to the village here, but it may be stopped with this small group. I hope so."
 
 
~~~~~~~Cervantes and the villagers on the road
 
 
The lone soldier rode at a considerable clip. He reared his mount upon encountering Cervantes and the villagers. He dismounted. "These are recruits from the village?"
 
Cervantes didn't hesitate. "Indeed they are, loyalists every one. We ride to assist the cause of righteousness." Cervantes coyly spoke the truth.
 
"I see, perhaps my journey is unnecessary. This is a fine contingent for a search. We seek but two individuals. Time could be a factor. This is fortuitous. I will join you. You are the recruits I seek." He mounted his horse and all continued forward.
 

~~~~~~~Julia and Valerius in the forest
 

Julia stopped. "Do you hear that, or is it in my mind alone?"
 
Valerius craned his neck. "Yes, yes, I do indeed. A battle at a distance. Not too great a distance from the sound. Hmmm. Perhaps we should take a look."
 
"Dare we? I am feeling weaker I fear."
 
"It won't be but a brief detour in our path. I must know what is afoot. It may be to our advantage. Your sores are not many. We have some time."
 
"Very well, as you see fit."
 
They both made their way towards the sound of battle.
 

~~~~~~~Cicero and the soldiers on the road
 

Cicero alerted the five remaining soldiers. "Someone comes. Be at the ready." He peered intently down the road, absent-mindedly scratching at his neck. "Ah it is Cervantes. He brings reinforcements. Your man is with him."
 
In a few moments, the group arrived. The soldier dismounted quickly and reported to his superior. "I felt this would suffice as a search party. I am ready to return for additional men if that is your desire."
 
"No. This should be adequate for the task at hand. We seek but two individuals on foot in the forest north of here. They are known to you, Valerius the doctor and Julia who is sought for treatment by Father Cicero here. We are hopeful they will come without incident."
 
The soldiers followed their superior into the forest along with Cicero and the others. The search began.
 

~~~~~~~Thurston, Abramus and Petrus
 

Thurston, Abramus and Petrus watched undercover from a distance.
 
Thurston spoke, "This is as we hoped for. We outnumber the soldiers and we are in the waiting for a surprise attack if need be. I suggest we flank them to the west and hope we find the two of them first."
 
Abramus and Petrus nodded in the affirmative and the three of them made haste.
 
 
~~~~~~~Valerius and Julia
 

Julia and Valerius walked to the top of a small-forested hill and came upon a battle at some distance. It was Persians and Romans. The Roman Empire, though toppled some time ago, still had large remnants and held power in many areas.
 
Valerius spoke, "We linger here for the time being. We are safe and I may be able to misdirect the soldiers with Cicero." He pulled a horn from his satchel.
 
Julia smiled. "I recall you using such tactics to your advantage long ago."
 
 
~~~~~~~Cassius comes upon Cicero
 
 
Cassius had been looking for his sister. It was Cicero he found. Cicero spotted him at the same time he spotted Cicero.
 
Cicero shouted out, "It is the brother. Seize him! He knows where the two of them hide. Quickly, don't let him escape."
 
From his vantage point on the hill, Valerius saw Cicero and the soldiers come into view. He saw the villagers and observed that all seemed to go into action. The reason escaped him, as he did not see Cassius who had run into the forest.
 
The villagers turned on the soldiers who though stunned began to fight back.
 
In spite of superior numbers, the villagers were no match for trained soldiers. Two were quickly dismounted by blows from their adversaries.
 
Thurston, Abramus and Petrus galloped into the fray. Abramus fell quickly when one of the soldiers struck his horse barely missing him in the process. Abramus hit the ground hard and wasn't moving.
 
In the distance a horn sounded. It repeated the same pattern over and over again.
 
The commander of the small troop shouted out, "To battle, our brothers are in danger. Leave this nonsense behind. A real battle ensues. To battle!"
 
The six soldiers left together at a gallop heading towards the hill where Julia and Valerius hid. The villagers sat on their mounts with their weapons, still at the ready, dumbfounded.
 
Cicero screamed out, "Stop! You are under orders. I command you! Stop. St…." He looked around and realized he had nary a single friend in his presence. He scratched at his neck. His eyes rolled up in his head and he slipped off his mount to the ground unmoving. He appeared to have fainted.
 
As the soldiers disappeared over the hill, Valerius and Julia burst from the forest running. Petrus and Father Thurston rode to greet them. Abramus looked up from the ground rubbing his head and smiling.
 
Cassius appeared nearby out of the forest and let out a loud, "Whoop!"




 



Recognized


There is an end to this section coming soon. Two or three segments at the most. (I hope) I love the input and suggestions and help you all have been giving me as well. Thank you so very much!

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.

The Oracle- A strange man that Julia and the others meet in the forest and invite to join them.

Father Cicero-A priest from a nearby village that had been performing prayer and other rites on Grenadier to drive out the demon he believes the child has inside him. He is searching for Winslow and his family.

Father Travis-Valerius travels to treat him and finds him to be at odds with Father Cicero over demon possesion.

he story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.