Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted December 16, 2014 Chapters:  ...183 184 -185- 186... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Wrapped Refrain

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Shakespeare's Words

by Treischel



I read the Bard while in high school,
A mandatory homework rule,
To memorize "To be, or not ...",
And then, Macbeth's murderous plot.
Now, at that early age I really found it hard
To comprehend the verses, when I read the Bard.

As I matured, I found the worth.
His eloquence had given birth
To my own sensibilities.
I mastered, now, the "thys" and "thees".
Elizabethan language lessons finally cured
My ignorance about his verse, as I matured.

I covet now his every word.
I doubt this news may sound absurd.
I bought this book of all his works.
It's one of my retirement perks
To daily cherish the thoughts that his words endow,
Those very words that once I loathed, I covet now.






Actually this is ficticious, because I always loved Shakespeare, and memorized several verses that I can recall even to this day. I was most pleased when I found the book, on sale, at a reasonable price.

This poem is a wrapped Refrain.
A Wrapped Refrain, created by Jan Turner, consists of 2 or more stanzas of six lines each (sextets), with a wrapped refrain.
Meter: 8,8,8,8,12,12
Rhyme scheme: aabbcc
In each stanza the first 4 syllables (or 4 single syllable words) in the first line of the stanza must be repeated as the last 4 syllables in the last line. This creates the wrap effect, for which the format is named - Wrapped Refrain. The switch from tetrameter (8 syllables) to hexameter (12 syllables) allows the stanzas to be more detailed or create a final rush.

This picture was taken by the author of the book upon his coffee table.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.