General Fiction posted December 5, 2014 Chapters:  ...53 54 -55- 56... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Confrontation and flight as Cicero proves no different.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Running For Their Lives!

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other
Previously, Valerius and Julia learn from Winslow that Cicero approaches with military escort. They plan to meet the priest and soldiers and make their plans based on what Cicero has to say and his actions. Leopold continues to rage even though blinded. We continue now as Julia and Valerius go to meet Cicero. At the same time Winslow and the others reach the safety of the shelter. We join them now as they inspect their new dwelling.



~~~~~~~The shelter in the woods
 

Adeline and Lourdes both smiled slightly when they found the home near Trellitia's property. It could not be seen from the road or anywhere but the very back of Trellitia's land. It showed signs of disrepair, but it was sound and well able to withstand the weather.
 
Winslow opened the door and cringed at the sound of it creaking. "Why do I feel like it is heard for miles around?" He smiled at the others as they all piled in.
 
Trellitia had made some preparations. It had some furnishings and cleaning had begun. There was wood for a fire and Winslow had one going in a short time. Florentina and Grenadier flopped on one of the beds and bounced.
 
Grenadier announced, "It is soft, Mother, softer than any I have ever slept on."
 
"Yes, softer than a thousand forest leaves," exclaimed Florentina.
 
They all appeared safe for now.
 

~~~~~~~Abramus visits Petrus
 

Petrus looked to see Abramus coming at a full gallop.
 
"We must talk." Abramus dismounted and held the reins. "The time is now. The priests are hunting already. There is no telling. Leopold has brought that fool Rastavius and he is here and armed. Cassius has gone to warn and…."
 
"Slow down, my friend. Where? Where are they?" Petrus responded.
 
"They go to the shelter. But, I fear a confrontation. We must gather as many villagers as possible. We need a show of strength." Abramus looked to Petrus anxiously.
 
"I'll saddle up. We haven't much time. We will roust those who are ready immediately and put the word out for others." Petrus rushed to saddle his horse.
 
Within minutes, they were on their way to the village.
 

~~~~~~~~Cicero and Valerius come upon the skirmish site
 

"Right up ahead here, through these trees." Valerius pointed towards a stand of trees.
 
Cicero nodded to one of the soldiers who drew his sword and faced Valerius and Travis.
 
Travis shouted out, "What is the meaning of this?"
 
The soldier said in a deep voice, "The two of you will remain here while we investigate."
 
With that, two soldiers drew their swords and motioned for Valerius and Travis to sit on the ground.
 
Travis approached the soldier with Cicero. "He has no authority over me. By what authority do you order me guarded? Think before you speak and act against the church."
 
Valerius spoke too. "You delay a physician when there are wounded to be tended to? What authority will you answer to for this transgression?"
 
The soldier turned coldly. "My authority is my orders given to me by my superior. I act on authority of the state. I am to accompany Father Cicero and assist him as needed in the apprehension of fugitives from his village." He unsheathed his sword partially. "I will not be hampered in my duties."
 
Valerius made no move to back away from his threat. "Are you not taught to think for yourself should the need arise? A soldier rises through the ranks by showing leadership, not by following blindly as a sheep. This is clearly not the apprehension of a fugitive. I am not a fugitive; I am a doctor. Father Travis is not a fugitive; he is a man of God and indeed, this man's superior. Yet, you imprison us? I once again ask you; by what authority do you dare do this?"
 
The soldier hesitated. He thought for a moment. "I do not imprison you. I merely detain you … for your own safety. While we, uh, while we investigate the matters ahead. I will hear no more talk of this. This is a military matter. You will remain here. I am done with this discussion." He nodded to the two soldiers who each grabbed an arm.
 
Cicero and the four soldiers proceeded in the direction Valerius had indicated.
 
Valerius nodded to Father Travis. Travis looked somewhat alarmed, but understood that Valerius did not intend to remain under guard. He took a deep breath and waited for Valerius to make his play.
 
Valerius smiled at one of the guards. "Have you food with you? At least some water … I'm afraid I used my water on behalf of the wounded." He looked away as though disinterested.
 
Travis drew closer to the other guard. "I could use a bit of water myself, or something stronger if I might be so lucky." He smiled and made eye contact. The guard smiled as though he understood the meaning.
 
"I'm afraid what you want is back at the road with my mount. I do have some water." He reached for a flask on his side.
 
Valerius had a sword to the neck of his captor in an instant. It hadn't occurred to the soldier that this young doctor could possibly be a threat. It made it all too easy for him to turn the tables. It took more of a struggle for Travis, but the surprise gave him the edge, and he had his man at bay as well.
 
"I am a doctor. I have no desire to injure you. I cannot allow my friends to be at the mercy of that fool you blindly follow. If I have no choice, I will kill you. Do not make a move. Sit down there. Now you, join him, back to back." The soldiers complied. Valerius stood above them the sword at the ready. "Bind them well, Travis. Well, and quickly. Cicero will come upon the others soon."
 

~~~~~~~Cicero comes upon Julia and Leopold
 

Cicero halted in surprise at the scene before him. Leopold shouting loudly with blood covering his bandaged head. A young woman standing serenely watching him. A nervous priest contemplating the sky, or maybe nothing at all. A body, no doubt Rastavius, laying in the field unattended. And then a rather crazed looking gentleman staring at them along with a young man who seemed poised for action. An old woman that kills him with her eyes ... the witch, no doubt.
 
He called out. "Leopold! It is Father Cicero. I have come for you. Wait there and I will come to you." He gestured to the soldiers who followed him as he walked towards the crazed priest.
 
"Carefully, there are demons everywhere. The girl! The girl draws them from everywhere. She has done this. Rastavius lies there dead and I blinded by her hand. Her and the witch, Trellitia. Slay them both before they turn on you. Quickly draw your knife and attack. Take my hand and bring me near them. I'll CUT THEIR HEARTS OUT! DEMONS! DAMN THEM!" Leopold fell to the ground moaning and exclaiming unintelligible utterings.
 
Julia stepped forward to great them. "What brings you here, priest? Where are my friends, the doctor and Father Travis? I see you bring soldiers. Are you going to war?" She starred into his eyes deeply.
 
Cicero shuddered under the scrutiny of Julia. "What has gone on here? A respected man of God lies dead and another blinded. Is this not a matter that begs questioning?"
 
She looked more intensely. She spoke softly, almost sweetly. "I know you. Yes, I do know you. I think you can hear for yourself. He accuses and derides those that have saved his life. He attacks and calls for the death of his fellow human beings in the name of God. Is this the God you worship? Is this the God you are here to represent? Is he the spokesman for your God? My God speaks of love. Perhaps my God is the God you represent. Which is it?" Julia moved closer to Cicero. She looked into his eyes even deeper.
 
Sweat appeared on his brow as though a man held a knife to his throat. "The Evil One speaks with a smooth tongue." Cicero backed up and looked away. "I see a dead priest and a blind priest. Then before me, I see a young girl. Am I to believe a young girl has the strength to slay and mutilate men? Or, is there another force at work here?" He stepped back up. "Seize her! She is a demon!"
 
Julia ran before the soldiers could grab her. "Run! Run to the forest! He calls the soldiers to arms. He is insane like Leopold. Run!"
 
Cicero ran forward. "Stop her! She mustn't escape. Her and the old witch. Rastavius warned me of her. Do as I command. Stop her now!"
 
The soldiers moved into action. Two began to pursue on foot. The two others pulled their bows and drew arrows.
 
Leopold found new energy and ran towards the sound of Julia's voice. "Stop, demon! I command you. Stop." He ran almost in step with her.
 
The forest loomed ahead. The sound of arrows filled the air. Screams cut through the shouting on the field. Cassius had reached Julia and they were near the stand of trees and safety when Julia stumbled. The screams were piercing.
 
Cassius cried out, "Julia!"
 
Leopold shouted out, "DEMON!", as he lurched forward to the ground.




 




love this story. I love the input and suggestions and help you all have been giving me as well. Thank you so very much!

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.

The Oracle- A strange man that Julia and the others meet in the forest and invite to join them.

Father Cicero-A priest from a nearby village that had been performing prayer and other rites on Grenadier to drive out the demon he believes the child has inside him. He is searching for Winslow and his family.

Father Travis-Valerius travels to treat him and finds him to be at odds with Father Cicero over demon possesion.



The story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.