General Fiction posted December 4, 2014 Chapters:  ...52 53 -54- 55... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cicero arrives on the scene and brings soldiers.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Cicero Arrives With Soldiers

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other
Previously, Even after Julia tended to Leopold and cared for his injuries he still accused her of being possessed. He had now become blind in both eyes as he continued to accuse and attack. Rastavius died and showed some signs of regret and admitted to Cervantes that he might be wrong. It was not clear if Cervantes had seen any light or not. We continue now as Cicero has been spotted coming down the road with soldiers.


 
"How many soldiers?" Valerius showed no emotion.
 
"I believe six, I had to run. They are, no doubt, inspecting the empty carriage already. I must get back to my family and the others." Winslow turned to go back.
 
Valerius grasped his shoulder gently. "Well done, my friend, get them to the shelter. Everything is under control here. Do not worry."
 
Julia strolled up to Valerius smiling. "He seemed put upon by something."
 
"Cicero approaches momentarily with soldiers. I feared he might not be far behind." He smiled at Julia as though he couldn't help it. "I am distracted by you. It occurs to me to abandon this foolishness and become a traveling minstrel. Would that appeal to you?"
 
"To me, yes. To the village I fear not. What is our plan? Deception? Perhaps truth will win the day." Julia remained calm and still the hint of a smile graced her visage.
 
"I have found that plans are sometimes things to trip over. It may be best to let them make their play. We will react." He looked at the scene before him. It looked much like a battlefield. Rastavius lay dead. Leopold seemed every bit the prisoner, injured and defiant. All were blood stained, both he and Julia, as well as the Oracle, Cassius and even Cervantes.
 
"You don't trust him." Julia looked towards Cervantes
 
"He is yet confused. Some light seems to have come to him. I don't have confidence in him. He was easily swayed by these two fools. It does not speak to his character." He brightened suddenly. "Cassius!" He motioned the young man over.
 
Cassius had been guarding Leopold, who seemed more weakened now. Cassius eyed the blind priest warily and then Cervantes who stood by himself preoccupied with a birds nest in a tree. He came to the call of Valerius. "Yes."
 
"Put my bag over there by that tall tree, behind it, and out of sight. Don't draw attention to your actions."
 
Cassius strolled away. He walked as though strolling through a garden with no sense of urgency.
 
Valerius whispered to Julia. "My horn is in my bag. You'll recall I am skilled at military calls."
 
"Yes, as well you should be. Of course, you have no memory of such things. You have some cleverness in you when it comes to such things." She smiled and looked sideways at him as though in a grand conspiracy.
 
Valerius didn't quite understand, but he had a sense of the truth of which she spoke. "Yes, perhaps I will stumble upon some connection to that cleverness. There is a thought that has occurred to me."
 
Father Travis stood nearby and saw his opportunity to intervene. "I wish to be first to confront Cicero. I am his superior and I have too long been subservient to his fervor."
 
"Very well. That is agreeable to me. Perhaps you can establish authority and direct the soldiers to your discretion. Such would be our best hope. Be ready though. There is no telling what authority Cicero has solicited to gain this advantage. Here we are armed with our wits. They bring weapons that are not of good humor. Be on your toes and follow my play if things do not go to our liking." Valerius was pleased to see the steely-eyed acknowledgement from Travis. He seemed much improved over the man he met only two days before.
 
"Why wait here for their arrival. We will force the issue." Valerius nodded to Cassius who was returning from his small task. He nodded to Julia. "Father Travis and I will greet Cicero and the soldiers. We will do what we can. Be prepared to flee into the forest. You are familiar, they are not. Cervantes will make his own choice, neither encourage nor discourage him. Leave Leopold where he is. I will not have any of you endangered. Soldiers know how to soldier. We are not equipped for that endeavor."
 
All nodded in agreement. Valerius and Travis set out towards the road and the others went their way.
 

~~~~~~~Cicero and the soldiers come upon the carriage
 

Cicero put up his hand bringing his group to a halt. He slid off his mount somewhat ungracefully. The soldiers snickered softly behind his back while he inspected the carriage by the side of the rode.
 
"It bears the markings of the church." He stroked his beard though it hardly had the length to stroke effectively. "An investigation is in order. Perhaps they have found Winslow and family already."
 
"Do you wish escort?" One of the soldiers addressed the priest.
 
Cicero nodded dismissively. The six soldiers lined up silently. The lack of respect mixed with their devotion to duty made for a strange attitude of disregard for Cicero. Cicero led the way into the forest. Within a few minutes, they came upon Valerius and Travis who had set out to greet them.
 
Travis stepped forward. "Joined the military have you, Cicero? You'll need a weapon, I believe."
 
"Most witty, my friend. I see you're in good spirits. Valerius seems to have found the right potion for you." Cicero had an air of deadly joviality about him. He spoke with a light tone, but there was an unspoken edge to his delivery.
 
Travis seemed to catch the challenge in his voice. "Yes, some fresh air it seems did the trick … and fresh thinking. What brings you and these soldiers to the forest this fine day, a picnic?"
 
"We seek Winslow and his family. We stopped at the parish here but found the priest away on business. Now, we find their carriage … yet … we don't find them. Perhaps you enjoy a picnic of your own?" Cicero looked around Travis as though he could see what might be behind him.
 
Valerius responded tersely, "They are there indeed. It is no picnic. They attacked our party and have not come to a good end as a result. They too sought Winslow as well as others. They attacked with knives, unprovoked. I'm afraid Leopold is quite ill…."
 
Travis interceded. "Possessed? He is possessed, I'm afraid to say. Rastavius filled his head with thoughts of demons and opened his heart to their entry. He listens to no reason. Rastavius lies dead behind us and still Leopold curses even those that save his life and tend to his wellbeing. The Winslow family has not been seen in these parts. They sought them as well. We don't know their whereabouts. Come see for yourself if you like." Travis loomed close to Cicero. He didn't threatened, but he clearly aimed to show superiority as befitted his stature in their village.
 
Cicero didn't back down, but he didn't assert himself either. "Yes, I will do as you suggest. Perhaps we can help him together. Rastavius dead, I can scarcely believe it." He nodded to one of the soldiers and they followed behind as all turned to return to the scene of the altercation.
 
Valerius didn't seem pleased, but there seemed little he could do to prevent the military's involvement. He moved quickly ahead with Travis and spoke softly, "I have no trust for Cicero. He may turn these men loose upon us at any moment. Be ready to run at my signal. I know the woods, they do not. Discreetly tell the others. Oh … say nothing to Cervantes. He can chose to follow or stay. That is his choice."
 

~~~~~~~~Leopold continues to rage
 

"Demons! All of you. Yet, I still have breath. Release these souls and return from whence you came!" Leopold continued to rage.
 
The Oracle looked to Julia. "Can't you silence that fool?"
 
"He is silent. He speaks nothing. Would you have me do to him what he would do to me? Is that in keeping with what we are taught? If love will not reach him, then hatred will find no perch. He battles his worst enemy already. He needs no other." Julia looked at peace as she spoke.



 




love this story. I love the input and suggestions and help you all have been giving me as well. Thank you so very much!

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.

The Oracle- A strange man that Julia and the others meet in the forest and invite to join them.

Father Cicero-A priest from a nearby village that had been performing prayer and other rites on Grenadier to drive out the demon he believes the child has inside him. He is searching for Winslow and his family.

Father Travis-Valerius travels to treat him and finds him to be at odds with Father Cicero over demon possesion.



The story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.