General Fiction posted November 30, 2014 Chapters:  ...51 52 -53- 54... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Tending the wounded. Horses approach on the road.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Still Seeing Demons

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other
Previously, wolves attacked the priests mortally wounding Rastavius and seriously injuring Leopold causing him to lose an eye. Cervantes was backed up and held at bay by a tree. Julia called the others to assist. In spite of how the priests had treated them, Julia and the others went to their aid and tended to their wounds. The priests showed no signs of recalcitrance and continued to denigrate Julia and call her a demon. Rastavius referred to Trellitia as a witch even as she attempted to save his life. We continue now as Leopold has risen to his feet and is about to attack Trellitia. Valerius has just arrived.



~~~~~~~Valerius arrives
 

Valerius, newly arrived, cried out, "Trellitia, behind you!"
 
Even as the words left his mouth, Leopold dove forward as though he had fallen over something. He landed on the ground screaming in agony. He rose immediately waving his arms and staggering in different directions trying to grasp at … anything. His blade protruded from his eye socket, what had been his good eye. He was blind.
 
Trellitia spun and looked at him. "Over hear, dear Leopold. Perhaps you may yet get a hold of me and choke the life out of me." She scurried to the right several feet. "Here now, my friend, don't lose heart, I'm over here." She got up close to him and whispered in his ear. "Here now, demon slayer. Shall I have my vengeance now for my husband … for myself? Reach out, blind man, reach out for me."
 
Leopold grasped at the air as Trellitia easily evaded him. "You will be dealt with." He screamed as he reached up and pulled the knife from his eye socket. Blood trickled down his face. He slashed at the air with the blade.
 
Valerius came up behind him and grasped his arm firmly. The Oracle grabbed the wrist and twisted until the knife dropped to the ground. Trellitia grabbed it and put it to Leopold's throat.
 
"No, don't do it", Valerius shouted. "We are physicians."
 
Trellitia whispered to Leopold, "I'd slit your throat if I were like you in any way. You would slit mine in an instant. You, the chosen of God, holy man … shall I remove the demon from your belly and provide safe passage to your creator? No, I'm well pleased to let you live just as you are. Bind him so that the doctor and I might treat this new and unfortunate wound."
 
Valerius turned to find Julia standing there motionless. He released Leopold's arm and walked to her. The Oracle grabbed the loose arm and wrestled him to the ground.
 
"I knew you would come." Julia spoke softly in a way Valerius had never heard.
 
"I heard you call me, I felt sure of it." He could not take his eyes off her.
 
They embraced and kissed as though there were nothing around them.
 
"This is my destiny." Valerius looked into Julia's eyes and felt as though there was no space between them. "I belong here … like this."
 
Julia leaned forward and kissed him again. He could feel her agreement. Words became unnecessary.
 
Trellitia smiled. "There will be plenty of time for that. Your services are required here, Doctor. That patient seems to be doing well." She chuckled softly.
 
Valerius smiled and released Julia who remained motionless. He turned to his patient and kneeled down. "The eye must come out, it is too damaged. It will rot and cause disease." He reached into his bag and applied a paste to the wound. It was similar in color to the liquid Trellitia gave Rastavius but thicker. It was made of the poppy seed as well and served to reduce pain. He pulled a digging tool from his bag and dislodged the eye with ease. It was nearly in two pieces.
 
The Oracle faced the road and seemed to strain his ear. "Quiet now. I hear the approach of horse. Several, I believe." He looked to Valerius.
 
"Our enemy is on this clearing here. Yet ... I don't like the feel of this." Valerius surveyed the scene before him. "I think it best to move the wounded under cover of those trees. Cassius, tend to Cervantes. If he makes a sound, slit his throat. We will move Leopold and Rastavius behind that stand of trees over there. Then we will await the passing of … well, whomever rides by." He faced the Oracle. "If you could find a vantage point near the road … unseen…."
 
"Yes. I understand your meaning. I have spent months here undetected. You have no worries." The oracle slipped away towards the road.
 
Valerius watched, as his plan was set into motion. Are the others aware as they make their way to shelter? I've no way to know. Be sharp, Winslow. There may yet be danger afoot.
 

~~~~~~~Winslow and the others continue
 

Adeline stopped. "Everyone stop. Do you hear that?"
 
They all came to a slow stop and their chatter died down.
 
Lourdes whispered, "Yes, I hear it, the approach of horse on the road. Everyone be still. Florentina, come by my side. Still now, do you hear?"
 
Florentina stopped smiling and came to be by her mother who put her arm around her. Grenadier went to his mother in like fashion. Winslow looked to an over growth of brush and trees and began motioning for everyone to seek refuge there.
 
Winslow whispered to the group, "I'm going near the road to see if I can get a glimpse of them. The others could be in danger."
 
Adeline grabbed his arm. "No, it is too dangerous. It could be Cicero searching for us. If he sees you, we are doomed. He has threatened to bring soldiers. Stay here where it is safe."
 
"Nonsense, I'll not be standing in the middle of the road. I'll be well hidden. I must see who comes. I may need to bring news to the others. They have endangered themselves to help us. It is the least I could do." He gently pulled his arm away and set out towards the road. Everyone remained motionless and silent.
 
 
~~~~~~~Leopold focuses on Cervantes
 

In spite of his injuries and resulting blindness, Leopold had lost none of his spite. "Cervantes, come here, Cervantes."
 
Cassius looked at Cervantes. "If I let you tend to him I expect it to remain quiet. I will cut you down without mercy if you endanger the others. Is that understood?" He maintained a cold visage.
 
"I understand." Cervantes nodded to Cassius who allowed him to tend to Leopold.
 
"Cervantes, why do you sit there in silence? Look what has been done to me. Rastavius barely clings to life. Yet, you stand by while demons instruct you. Is Satan your new master, Son? Have you…."
 
"Silence. Have you not caused enough damage with your foolishness? What demon tends to the wounds of their enemy? These are not demons. They kneel over the fallen bodies of their oppressors and lend aid. They could not be more Godly. I am shamed by my foolish allegiance to you and Rastavius. I have seen the light and you are not in it. Repent your ways, Father, and come out of the darkness before it consumes you." Cervantes remained, kneeling by Leopold.
 
Leopold reached out and grasped part of his garment. "You fool! Do you not see the cleverness of their actions? Now they can count you in their number." He released his hold. "Go from me. You will not be a priest for much longer. The Bishops will hear of your disloyalty … in league with Satan and his minions. FOOL!"
 
Cervantes walked to Rastavius who was nearby. Rastavius remained conscious though very pale with labored breathing. "Have you any confessions you wish to make, Father. I will hear them." Cervantes spoke softly.
 
"The Lord knows my heart. There is no need to confess when there is nothing to confess." Rastavius looked away. A sadness covered him like a fog covers a meadow at dawn, but wildflowers would not be found as the day wore on. "Wait, son. Mercy, son. They have shown mercy. Perhaps … perhaps we are wrong about the girl. She tended to our wounds without malice. I find that at odds with a demon's behavior. There is no need for trickery in victory. Do you understand? We may be wrong about these people. Bear that in mind. We may be wrong. I can only know what Leopold has told me. You have to decide for yourself. I am not convinced. I thought you should know. I may be…" His eyes rolled back in his head and then forward again. They seemed focused on something in front of him. Cervantes saw nothing. "No! Please! No! I will not go…." A look of terror came across his face and he stopped breathing. Cervantes grabbed his hand and began to softly pray.
 
Winslow ran up to Valerius near breathless. "Cicero comes with soldiers. He has passed us by, but he is sure to see the priest's carriage."



 



Recognized


love this story. I love the input and suggestions and help you all have been giving me as well. Thank you so very much!

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.

The Oracle- A strange man that Julia and the others meet in the forest and invite to join them.

Father Cicero-A priest from a nearby village that had been performing prayer and other rites on Grenadier to drive out the demon he believes the child has inside him. He is searching for Winslow and his family.

Father Travis-Valerius travels to treat him and finds him to be at odds with Father Cicero over demon possesion.



The story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.