Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted November 29, 2014


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
My Version of Haibun

When The Toll Is Took

by michaelcahill


 


 

When The Toll Is Took   
                                by michael cahill         
   


 






He could laugh, even with a hole in his throat. Some round thing slapped against his Adam's apple making a whirring sound. Creepy. But, he looked nuts enough to get us goin'. That cigarette, camel non-filter … he broke them off, stickin' in that hole, smoke pourin' out. Shudder time. He still had one between his fingers when we found him. Kinda of a bluish color. Slumped over, but not a great deal more than usual. Fifty-two years old. Thirteen cigs left out of twenty. Over half of a liter bottle of vodka left and a few sips of a vodka Collins to finish the glass. Goodbye uncle Johnny.
 


one last puff
I'd trade it now for
one more breath



 



Recognized


The last part was to be my entry for the Air 3-5-3 prompt, but apparently I've entered too many. Me????
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.