General Fiction posted November 29, 2014 Chapters:  ...50 51 -52- 53... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The wounded are tended to. Gratitude is lacking.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Compassion For the Heartless

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other
Previously, the priests stopped their carriage to enter the forest when Cervantes informed them he saw Cassius enter. They suspected Julia and the others were in there. Upon entering they heard the sound of wolves. It scared Cervantes who wanted to turn back, but Rastavius convinced them to move forward. Julia suddenly appeared before them a short distance away and asked their purpose. As they conversed, wolves appeared, glaring at the priests. Rastavius made threatning gestures towards them and they attacked. Rastavius and Leopold were injured and Cervantes was held at bay. The wolves left Rastavius severly injured. We continue now as Julia and the others attempt to take care of the wounded.



~~~~~~~~Tending the wounded
 

Cassius brought his steed to an abrupt halt, nearly losing Trellitia as the horse reared up. She paid it no mind, dismounted quickly, and caught Julia's eye. Julia motioned to Rastavius.
 
As Trellitia made her way to Rastavius, Julia slipped quietly out of view. Julia went to consult with Winslow and the others.
 
"Everything is under control here. Take them to the shelter as planned. I will be along when I am able." Julia spoke in a whisper. Winslow's presence had not been detected as yet.
 
Florentina rushed up to hug Julia. "I didn't bring the wolves. I don't know where they came from. My father wasn't with them. It wasn't my fault." She had tears streaming down her face.
 
Julia hugged her. "You've done nothing wrong. The wolves came to protect us, it matters not where they came from. Those men were evil and carried weapons to harm us. Now, you run along and I will be with you soon. Your mother will be back before long. She will be pleased to find you safe. Now, run along. She exchanged a glance with Adeline who clung tightly to Grenadier, her son, and Adeline turned and hurried the others towards the shelter.
 
"Move aside son." Trellitia dropped to her knees brushing Cervantes forcefully to the side. He rose to his feet in anger, but said nothing.
 
Julia returned to observe Trellitia.
 
Trellitia leaned in to Rastavius who looked back in pain. "You remember me don't you, dear friend? I will help you if I can. Unlike you, I cherish life … even yours." She looked steely-eyed at him. His expression couldn't be fathomed; fear mixed with pain and something that might be contempt or could be gratitude. She reached into a red and blue satchel. It showed signs of wear, but it was intricately appointed with scenes of nature. She pulled a vile from the contents and lifted his head. "Drink this; it will help with the pain."
 
Rastavius adopted a look akin to a man facing execution. He mouthed a one-word question, "Poison?"
 
"Idiot, if I wanted you dead, I could sit here and watch in rapture as you breathed your last. You'd have it coming for what you did to my husband and so many others. It is medicine. I would not dishonor my husband by turning my back on his vows. Now, drink this you old fool."
 
Rastavius relaxed a small bit and drank the potion. He made a face in reaction to the bitterness of its flavor. The potion was a thick pulp made from poppy seeds. It took very little time for its effects to manifest on his face. The tension left his expression.
 
"Julia. I will need your assistance and Cassius too." She called to the two who were nearby. The Oracle, who had remained behind, accompanied them. Trellitia eyed him suspiciously at first, but returned her attention to the priest. "I'm going to have to remove the arm above the wound. I've given him medicine to relive pain, but it will not fully dull the pain of this. "Julia, a fire to heat the instruments."
 
Julia gathered materials for the fire, took the flint from Trellitia, and soon had a fire going. She held the blades Trellitia handed her over the fire. Trellitia cut the garment covering the arm and observed an arm nearly severed. "It will have to come off here, above the elbow." She spoke as though she planned to carve a roast for supper.
 
Cervantes spoke, "You cannot bind the arm … allow it to heal?"
 
"The arm is dead, son. If there is any chance for him to survive, it must come off. Come and assist in holding him down. Prayers would be in order. His condition is grave and his prospects are not good."
 
She moved quickly when Julia brought her instruments. "This needs to remain in the fire until I call for it." A blunt tool seeming to be of no function, Julia placed its tip into the fire. She held it in anticipation. Trellitia lifted the arm and poured water over it cleaning it as best she could. She took a tool that had a curved blade with small teeth and cut into the arm above the elbow and halfway to the shoulder. Rastavius cried out in pain. The men held him firmly as he began to thrash about. Trellitia was swift in her operation and the arm was removed in little time.
 
"Bring it now, Julia." Julia handed her the blunt tool, which glowed at the tip from the heat. Trellitia applied it to the end of the wound. The smell of burning flesh filed the air and Rastavius cried out and resisted the attempts of the men to hold him down. They held firm. The flow of blood ceased. She rubbed a liniment on the still steaming wound and wrapped it with cloth.
 
Leopold began moaning louder as the pain increased. The flow of blood continued in a slow ooze from his empty eye socket.
 
Trellitia inspected the wounds on the neck of Rastavius and noted that they were not bleeding. "I have done what can be done for him. Keep him warm. His outlook is grim, but he yet breathes. Most do not survive to this point. Stay with him, son. Prayer and comforting words are the only medicine left now."
 
Cervantes kneeled by him, clasped his remaining hand, and spoke softly as he leaned close to his ear. A prayer, words of solace, it wasn't clear and no one paid attention as Trellitia went to tend to Leopold.

 
~~~~~~~Valerius and Travis approach a carriage unattended
 

Valerius smiled as the road became familiar. Home held an attraction to him he hadn't realized until now. "A carriage up ahead. Curious. I feel we should stop and see what has become of its occupants. This must have something to do with Julia. I feel her near. I know you miss Florentina as well, Lourdes."
 
Lourdes had been content to let the two of them talk and had been silent most of the way home. "Yes, this has been a long separation. I worry, of course, with talk of demons and obsessed priests about. Uh … no offence to you, Father."
 
Travis nodded. "I take none. I am embarrassed by their behavior. Cicero had been like a son to me until consulting with Rastavius. His change is dramatic and unsettling."
 
Valerius nodded with concern. "Rastavius had that same effect on Leopold. A different man returned from Constantinople. Well, Julia is near, I hope you understand. I feel it."
 
He didn't understand, but in his short time with Valerius, he had come to respect him. He sensed a wisdom that belied his youth. They all dismounted together and entered the forest.
 
 
~~~~~~~Julia speaks to Leopold.


Julia knealt by Leopold. "Your bleeding has subsided somewhat. Your other wounds do not appear serious. You see what your foolish notions have gained you? It is lucky that you still live."
 
Leopold did not mince words."The incantations of a witch who commands the beasts of hell. You and the demon child. You were not attacked. Why is that? A beast does not attack its master, that is why! A beast does…."
 
Leopold grimaced in the middle of his sentence.
 
Julia spoke, "Still you cling to such nonsense after all of this. Your teacher lies near death. You battle for life yourself, yet you use what breath you have to condemn and accuse. Are these the words of one of God's chosen ones? Demons come from within, Leopold, not from without. They are already inside of every man seeking a foothold in a man's weakness. It is you that are possessed. Possessed with hatred and judgment of others. You are blind to your own actions and thoughts. God is nowhere to be found within you for you do not seek him. You listen to voices of destruction. The object of destruction is YOU. That is what you fail to see. Those you revile help you even as you spit venom in their faces."
 
Leopold moaned. "Trickery. Twisted words of Satan. It was you that called upon the hellhounds. It was God himself who bid them leave."
 
"You are hopeless. How many lives will you live before you face the truth?" Julia rose and left him moaning. She nodded to Trellitia who approaced with her satchel.
 
Trellitia knealt by him. She removed the covering over his eye socket. She poured water directly into it causing Leopold to cry out. "The wound is not deep. None of them are. You will be scared, but you will survive. You are lucky; Julia's quick thinking stemmed the bleeding. You could have easily died. Better to be a living one-eyed priest than a dead one, yes?"
 
"You, the witch of the forest, I hear you not. The power of the Lord will smite you all. Demons! All of you. Demons, possessed by the Evil One. A reckoning comes to you. A reckoning!"
 
Trellitia dressed the wound and bandaged it. "Change the bandages regularly ... keep it clean, it should heal." She rose and left him there. "Damn fool, what is the point in saving him?"
 
Leopold jumped to his feet, produced the knife he carried, drew it back over his head and stumbled towards Trellitia…




 



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


love this story. I love the input and suggestions and help you all have been giving me as well. Thank you so very much!

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.

The Oracle- A strange man that Julia and the others meet in the forest and invite to join them.

Father Cicero-A priest from a nearby village that had been performing prayer and other rites on Grenadier to drive out the demon he believes the child has inside him. He is searching for Winslow and his family.

Father Travis-Valerius travels to treat him and finds him to be at odds with Father Cicero over demon possesion.



The story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.