General Fiction posted November 28, 2014 Chapters:  ...49 50 -51- 52... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The priests continue their search for Julia and the others.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

The Priests Confront Julia & Wolves

by michaelcahill


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other
Previously, Valerius examined Father Travis and found what he expected, Travis in good health and Cicero seeking to eliminate him. Valerius convinced Cicero it would be in his best interest to let him take Travis back with him for treatment. Valerius planned to stop and see Gregorio, but he felt that Julia needed him and rushed to her aid. Julia and the others were in the forest and Cassius rode to warn them the priests were traveling in their direction. One of the priests spied Cassius entering the forest and the priests surmissed that Julia and the others were in there. As the priests entered the forest they heard the cries of wolves. We continue now as the priests discuss the sound of wolves and what to do about them.





~~~~~~A confrontation
 

Cervantes stopped. "Do you hear that? I'm not going in there."
 
Leopold grabbed his arm. "Don't be foolish, son. It's just wolves. Are you not aware that wolves inhabit the forest? There are three of us. We have work to do. The Lord is with us."
 
Rastavius looked back in disgust. "Foolish boy, we haven't the time to coddle you. If you wish to walk back to the carriage ALONE, feel free to follow that path; our path lies before us." He turned and proceeded at a brisk pace.
 
Leopold hurried after him. Cervantes stood still for a moment, and then fear overtook him. He rushed to catch up to them. The sound of the wolves increased in volume. Cervantes broke into a sweat and looked madly all around him. Leopold and Rastavius moved forward with purpose, ignoring the wails echoing through the dimly lit surroundings.
 
 
~~~~~~~Julia and the others in the forest
 

"Florentina, did you bring the wolves?" Julia kneeled down to talk to the young girl.
 
"No, I never bring them. They just appear, it must be father."
 
Cassius returned out of breath. "They've entered the forest. I hear wolves, but I don't see them. I suggest we get away from them. Rastavius carries a sword and the other ones may be armed as well. They are nearby and approach. They must have spied me entering from the south."
 
Winslow stepped forward. "I feel as though I should confront them. It is me they seek … me and my family. The rest of you make your way to the shelter. I will delay them."
 
The Oracle stepped by his side. "I will stand with him. You have shown me kindness. I wish to aid you now in return. I'm sure they will think twice when they see the two of us."
 
Cassius spoke. "I will stay as well. They will be no match for the three of us. Julia, you take the … Julia? Where has she gone? Julia!"
 
Julia was no longer with them.
 
Cassius spoke again with more urgency, "Any of you, where has my sister gone?"
 
They all shook their heads and looked at each other blankly. No one had noticed her slipping away.
 

~~~~~~Julia encounters the priests
 

"It is dangerous in these woods for old men. What is it you seek?" Julia appeared a short distance from where the priests were making their way through the forest.
 
All three stopped abruptly, startled by her appearance.
 
Leopold spoke, "We seek you and the two children for cleansing. We mean you no harm. We want to help remove the spirits that trouble you."
 
"There are no spirits troubling any of us. It is you that appear troubled. Who is this old man you bring with you. He appears to be in ill health and confused. And this young boy, he seems terrified. Why do they accompany you?" Julia bore her eyes into Rastavius with deadly seriousness and contempt.
 
Rastavius stepped forward and held up his sword. His hand shook slightly. "You speak with a clever tongue, Demon. I am familiar with your kind. You do not frighten me, nor does your trickery. I hear wolves crying out, but I see no wolves. Is that your attempt to dissuade us from our purpose? It will fail. You will leave this child and your kind will leave the other children as well. The Lord commands it."
 
Three wolves appeared from a stand of trees to the right of the priests. They bared their teeth and growled softly but menacingly at them. Two more wolves stood behind them, but were not noticed at first.
 
Cervantes nudged Leopold and directed his attention behind them. Leopold faltered at the knees upon seeing the two wolves but regained his footing. Rastavius glanced at the three wolves for a moment, but he kept his gaze fixed on Julia.
 
Julia spoke again, this time to Leopold. "I have known you for a very long time. You act foolishly and make poor choices. Perhaps you will finally see the intelligent choice here and go from whence you came. You know there is no demon. This man here influences you and twists your thinking. Your path does not lie with him. In your heart, you know it is the wrong path. Now you lead this young boy along with you. I don't wish you ill, but I cannot allow harm to my friends and I will not allow harm to myself."
 
Leopold addressed Rastavius, "Perhaps this is not the time. They are many and the danger is high. The military pledges soldiers to my aid. Is that not the more sensible approach? They can be treated with greater care in the Lord's house. Why confront them here where there is no telling what evil may lurk?"
 
Leopold's admonishments only served to fuel the fervor inside of Rastavius. Any misgivings he had held gave way to a self-righteous look of entitlement. "I fear not anything born of hell or its master, Satan. A hellhound quakes at the power of Christ. He lifted his sword high and pointed it towards the wolves.
 
The wolves began to growl louder and become more restless.
 
"Leave this forest and return to the world of darkness from whence you came. The power of Almighty God compels you thusly." Rastavius stared at the wolves and stepped towards them.
 
The two wolves behind them rushed toward him and leaped high into the air knocking him down. The other three flew into action immediately. Two knocked Leopold to the ground and stood over him. One backed Cervantes up to a tree and sat before him. Cervantes froze in place too terrified to scream or move a muscle.
 
Rastavius managed to strike one wolf a glancing blow. It was not a mortal wound, but it drew blood. It seemed to encourage the animal. Rastavius screamed out in high-pitched unintelligible words as the wounded wolf tore into the arm that held the sword. The sword dropped from his hand and his mangled arm laid above his head barely attached and unmoving. The wolf's powerful jaw cradled his throat. Rastavius looked forward terrified and unmoving. He pressure on his throat left him unable to utter a sound.
 
One of the wolves bit into the head of Leopold dislodging an eyeball. The priest shook with pain, but made no sound. His eye lay on the ground seeming to look back at him. Blood trickled down his face. He could taste it in his throat where it dripped from the open eye socket down his nasal passage into his throat.
 
Cervantes found a voice within himself, "Call them off! For God's sake, they're killing them. For the love of God, call them off."
 
Julia was calm. "I have no power over wolves. He should not have threatened them."
 
A moment later, the wolves ran to the trees and disappeared. There was no sound of them running when they were out of sight. It was as though they vanished. The wounds to the two priests were real.
 
Julia called out, "Come quickly, they have been attacked."
 
Cassius arrived first. "My God, what happened?"
 
"The wolves. The old priest threatened them and they attacked. They are severely wounded. Get Trellitia." Julia went to Rastavius first. He may not survive. She next examined Leopold. She ripped material from her garmets and applied pressure to the wound on his face. "Lie still. I have sent for Trellitia, she is knowledgeable in medicine. Hold this to your wound. It will keep the blood from flowing out. The wolves have gone."
 
Leopold had no words. He applied the cloth to his head as Julia instructed.
 
Cervantes remained in the same spot unmoving. The wolves were long gone, but he stood backed up against the tree as though one was guarding him.
 
"The wolf is gone, priest. You need not stand there any longer. Come and tend to your fellow priests. I fear the older one may not make it. His injuries appear mortal. You must consult with him. There are matters of faith are there not?" Julia attempted to reach Cervantes.
 
The sound of Julia's voice seemed to calm Cervantes. He went to the side of Leopold who spoke to him softly. He quickly then went to the side of Rastavius and appeared to be praying. Rastavius still moaned in pain and moved his legs and good arm. He still lived, at least for now.




 



Recognized


love this story. I love the input and suggestions and help you all have been giving me as well. Thank you so very much!

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.

The Oracle- A strange man that Julia and the others meet in the forest and invite to join them.

Father Cicero-A priest from a nearby village that had been performing prayer and other rites on Grenadier to drive out the demon he believes the child has inside him. He is searching for Winslow and his family.

Father Travis-Valerius travels to treat him and finds him to be at odds with Father Cicero over demon possesion.



The story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.