Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted November 27, 2014 Chapters:  ...193 194 -195- 196... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Fouteener

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Electricity

by Treischel



In eons now elapsed since things exist on planet earth,
all creatures lived controlled by moon and stars in dark of night,
and so it has remained for all, 'til man invented light.
When electricity was found to be a thing of worth.

That soon allowed a place where industry was given birth,
transforming nations overnight to futures looking bright.
Where God has lit the heavens, wouldn't it seem only right
that mankind's creativity allowed the light to come forth.

In new ways our enlightenment dynamically has drawn
the timid from cave darkness to the brightest culture heights
where useful manmade objects have created a new dawn
that harness energy, to go where men have never gone.
From flickers of a candle into incandescent lights,
it's electricity that we all now depend upon.







One of the major inventions that changed the world. Only two entities have created light here on planet earth over the billions of eons that it existed - God and Mankind. That's something to think about. I believe that the way we are most like God is reflected in the Creator's ability to create.

This poem is a fourteener.
A Fourteener, in poetry, is a line consisting of 14 syllables, which are usually made of 7 iambic feet for which the style is also called iambic heptameter. It is most commonly found in English poetry produced in the 16th and 17th centuries. It can be used in a Sonnet, which has 14 lines.

I've done that here, writing in iambic Heptameter. Only, I wrote the Sonnet in the Petrarchan style, which has two Quatrains followed by a sestet. Usually the first two quatrains establish a proposition while the sestet gives a resolution.
The typical Petrarchan rhyme scheme is:abba abba cdccdc(or cdecde)
I modified this a bit by interlinking the "b" rhyme from the quatrains into the sestet.
Therefore my rhyme scheme becomes: abba abba cbccbc (skipping the "d" rhyme).

The Proposition is that mankind has created something new on this planet, akin to God's work. The resolution is that it has drawn us into a new age and become indespensible.

This photograph was taken by the author of a simple lamppost set against the sky. The autumn's leaves and blue sky represent God's best. The lamppost mans invention.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.